HELP i think my chinchilla is pregnant

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey, so i bought two boys about 3 weeks ago, and they had no problems, well just a little while ago, i saw him mounting "her" and they had been acting weird. so i flipped her over and voila hes a she!
some of the things she has been doing include, attacking her best friend :(
spraying, lying on her side, she has gained a bit of weight (weighed her) and she has a much firmer tummy then ever before, and extended nipples, maybe an inch long, almost to the end of her fur. (i have already seperated them to be safe, i don't want to lose one of my babies :)
she is 3, he is 7, so age isn't a problem, but does any one know if these are standard signns of pregnant chinchillas? or is she just getting grumpy?
and if yes, if any of these sign would show generally how far along she is?
and what kind of cage she should be in? i've never had nor seen newborn kits, my youngest was 7 weeks and 207 grams.

I would say those likely are the signs that she is pregnant, I would keep an eye out. If the nipples are that extended, she should be towards the end of the pregnancy, maybe in the last month or so.

As for the cage, you'll want her in a small cage that doesn't have any ledges or anything where she could get away from the babies, once they are born. The bar spacing shouldn't be any bigger than 1" x 1/2" so that the kits can't get through. Some kits can get through 1"x1" bar spacing, so be sure it's smaller than that.

Newborn kits are born fully furred, eyes open, and ready to go. In the wrong cage, they could be out of the cage within the first 30 minutes (if it even took that long) after being born.

The main thing to do is make sure you have the right type of cage. Other than that, mom does most of the work (usually). If/when there are kits, you will want to weigh them and weigh them daily (around the same time every day) so you can see whether or not they are gaining weight.

I would say she might be ready to deliver That is why the male is trying to breed her again - he knows. Separate them now before she delivers or he will breed her again. As Greychin said make sure mom is in a baby proof cage.

Dont forget to read the sticky in the breeding section. And start lining up potential homes early if you don't plan to keept them.

Have a vet linned up who knows chins. You don't want to scramble if something goes wrong and she needs assistance and you don't have a vet. Additionally let the vet know your situation before hand so they know what they/your dealing with.

yes, they have been seperated, already, i have moved her into a .5/.5 squared cage, with no levels, and i have three different vets lined up for exotics in case of emergency and have pre-warned all of them!! i will also be keeping the kits, as the parents are rescues and they are my reponsibility now, and the babies should be too. and i don't want people breeding them as their background is unknown!!
also yesterday and today when i took her out, i felt some movement!

okay, i won't from now on. she practically jumps into my hands when i open the cage to get her fresh food every night :D

no. i am not, and never would.
i got my first chinchilla when i was two years old, and have done extensive research starting from the age of 9. when i decided i wanted to become an exotic vet so my baby boy who passed away at 18 wouldn't ever get sick again!
i dump the old pellets and any extra water in all my chins bottle every evening and refill it so that they get fresh food and water while they are at their most active.

hey, everyone, so after todays vet visit, he figures i'm going to be having TWINS within the next month or so. I will keep everyone updated, on how she does!

I usually start to feel movement within the last 2-3 weeks!
I'm wishing you some luck with these babies! It will be fun to watch them grow up!

i had a beautiful little girl the other morning, standard like mommy

beautiful baby girl born on the 7th at who knows what time :D
weighing in at 63 grams we have a dark standard angel!
(67 now)
i'm feeling like a very lucky chin mommy for my first litter! one big, healthy baby and mommies giving lots of milk!!!!!!

Congrats to you!!! That baby is a biggun!!! 1 healthy and huge is soo much more of a relief. What's her name? Aren't first babies so gosh darn exciting... When my first came just a few days ago I lost my breath at first I was so excited...

we hit 70! i am so happy with ner! i'm calling here Kiki right now, because mommies name is Mimi and daddy is Chester (so it's a kind of mix?)
i was sure with her size that the goat milk i bought was going to be used! but with this one fatty, i have goat milk, and nothing to do with it ;)
how did your's turn out?
and yes, yes they are!! ecspecially when they turn out well/for the better!

I had 2 mommas have kits 3 days apart. The first had twins but one didn't make it. Pretty sure she was premature. Those babies were both sapphire girls 49g and 30 g. The surviving girl is Avery and the one who didn't make it was Ava. The 2nd had 1 little boy. He is a black velvet and I am still pondering a name for him. He was 58g.

Back