help high humidity levels!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

The humidity level in my chin room is reading at 75 rh right now. I bought three tubs of damp rid at home depot but it does not seem to be doing much. The temperature in my room ranges from 64 degrees to 68 within the day. Is this okay with the high humidity or do I need to buy a dehumidifier? My ac unit currently takes up so much electricity because it has no econ mode so I literally just run it all day and night. The bill is about 200 more than it was before I got the unit monthly. This is why I am hesitant to buy a dehumidifier because I am worried it will cost even more money which is hard for me to afford at the moment but I will if I have to for my chins. Any advice? I'm worried that its to humid for them and I don't want them to be stressed or uncomfortable that's why I bought a unit to keep my room under 70 degrees.

The temps are good, but I'd still bite the bullet and buy the dehumidifier. When the humidity stays too high over a period of time, you run the risk of mold growing... in the AC, in their fur, in their bedding, on the walls, etc. I have a 70 pint dehumidifier and I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in my electric bill. The increase in the bill for the AC, however, is insane.

Our humidity levels have been higher recently too. If you aren't looking to dehumidify your whole house, a smaller unit shouldn't use that much electricity.

Back