Help! Future cage advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinderella

So here is the dilemma: I have one adult chinchilla named MJ (short for Mick Jagger) and I don't plan on getting another chin for at least 5-8 years. Right now, I am using a cheap starter cage I bought when I first got MJ and am saving up to get a ferret nation. His current cage is ridiculously small, and I need a new one.

Here is a link to the small cage, so you have an idea: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=2130466&CoreCat=Related_Products

My question is, is a ferret nation double unit too big for one chinchilla? I am willing to pay for it and I don't mind spoiling him, but if he's going to feel lonely or only going to use 1/2 of it, then I would rather put the money towards making the single unit comfortable. BUT if he would be happier with more space (less crowding of toys) and will use all the levels, then I consider it to be worth it.
If anyone else has a chin in a double unit, would you lend me a paw?

much appreciated,

chinchilla kisses :heart:

Chinderella

There is no such thing as a cage too big. I have a simular cage to the ferret nation and I can honestly say that filling it with ledges, houses and toys will entertain your little one completely.

Nope! No cage is too big. I have a single male in a double unit Critter Nation and he LOVES the space. He gets SO grumpy when I have to cut him off from half of the cage for play time. A single unit won't be too small but if you can get a double, go for it! Your chinny will appreciate the space :)

For one chin, the cage you have isn't horrible. As long as he gets 'outside' time every day. I have two of those cages. One houses a single female, and the other houses my two boys. They get out to play at least once a day, if not twice/three times (depending on the day). The two boys are more than happy in their cage. Actually, it's the cage that came with the two boys when I got them from Ange (Vyxxin). Willow also likes her cage, although she'd rather be out with me and cuddle up on my chest.

my chin is in a critter nation double with a add on he loves it uses every level they need and love lots of room :)

My little guy is in a FN 182 all by himself. I debated getting just the 181, but like every one says, the bigger the better. He loves it and went crazy when I put him in it from his small starter cage.

All my singles are in double Ferret Nations. They love all the room they can get. Some of them have quite a circuit they run from level to level and use all the shelves in the process. They seem to like a large variety of sleeping places too. While a small cage is fine, bigger is better.

I went from a chinchilla starter kit cage (bigger than the one you have linked, though) to a double unit Critter Nation for my one male chin. At first, my boy mostly just used the upper level, but would venture "downstairs" to go on his wheel, get water from the bottle down there, or eat, etc. It didn't take long for him to get comfortable with all of the extra space, though. On an almost nightly basis, he runs and jumps from level to level, back down and up again, so he certainly enjoys the extra space haha.

Mine has a critter nation all to himself. I want to get another one but I'm hoping they will get along so I won't have to separate them into each section. I'd hate to only limit him to half the cage.

Mine had the same starter cage that yours had. He didn't know what to do with all the extra space at first but soon he was loving it. :D

I have a single level FN and have one chin in it and is alot of space she runs around all the time and she loves it so I guess it would be your decision on what would be best for your chin. But I love my FN single unit.

I have the ferret nation cage for my chinchillas. I started with one and he loved it and then added a girlfriend. We just had a baby yesterday - OMG it is cute.

Latest posts

Back