help chin not eating or drinking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddskers

Just wondering if anyone has ideas what I can do to get my chin to eat. Its been 3 days of not eating or drinking. We were able to get a little critical care down him but not much. We took him to the vet and he took an X-ray and said it wasn't impaction. He did see a small pocket of gas. But he isn't pooping and the few he finally did today and they were SUPER small and deformed shapes. we have been giving him simethicone 3 times a day. We are very worried he is going to dehydrate if he hasn't already. He still has energy and will run around.
He has lost about 20 grams….Can I feed him pumpkin without it hurting him?

The chin is going to be in a medical emergency very soon if not fed, at this point the chin should get sub Q fluids, motility drugs to keep the digestive tract moving, metecam for pain, critical care given in small frequent feedings, a dropper full of simethicone every couple of hours, belly massage and exercise, the vet needs to perform the sub Q fluids and you need to get a prescription for the motility drugs and metecam, call back the vet ant tell them the chin is not eating and you need further treatment or it will die.

Stressed about chin!!!

We took him to the vet on Monday and they put him on antibiotic and metcam for pain. He supposably has a tooth infection. We have been feeding him .6 cc critical care 3 times daily he still isn't drinking any water except the couple of SMALL syringes we force him to each day. He ate hay for the first time last night. He pooped very small poops last night but I didn't feel like he did much today. Should he be on lactulose? He seems to have energy but I am getting very worried that he is dehydrated or will become impacted with us feeding him all this critical care and not pooping.

Hi cuddskers, My chins are also not eating or drinking much for the last 2 weeks. I feed them Critical Care, about 50-60 ml a day, until they just don't want to eat any more. (My chins are not that big, one is 440 grams and the other 485 grams). Because you use water for the critical care I don't think your chin will be dehydrated.
Mine were in the beginning also not pooping a lot (and very dark and small poops) but now they are just little pooping machines again, their poops are firm and big again. I think that the critical care helps to keep their bowels moving and because it is so high in fibre their poops should get better.
My chins went to the vet 6 times in total and 4 times they had fluids put in their bellies by the vet, it seemed to help them a lot. (I don't know how you call it in the US, I am not familiar with all the medical terms ;) )
Maybe that is something you could ask your vet. I hope your chin will be better soon.

Latest posts

Back