Help! Chin hair issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TillyChinchilla

I've had chins for almost three years now. NEVER have I seen such an issue with loose hair.

I moved mine back down to my dining room from their own room because their window AC was leaking. Cranked my own central air because it is pretty hot here.

Every morning, there is a layer of hair over every surface within 10 feet of the cage. I have to vacuum huge clumps of hair off the bars every day. Every inch of my dining room table is covered in hair. The window next to them has hair clinging to the blinds every morning. Had to take down the curtains (they were black, don't think I will ever get that hair off)

I've groomed all four of them in the last few days, and got a fair amount of hair out, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Is this just shedding, or something more? Again, in the last 2 summers before this, I've never seen anything like it - even when I had close to 20 in one room.

Are all four housed together b/c I was thinking maybe they were roughhousing in the night as well?

No, I've got two boys above two girls. Father (10 years old)/son (1.5) Mother(5)/daughter (1.5). None have ever fought that I can see signs of. I work until 3AM some nights at home and it is business as usual. Of course it is possible but I never see fur slips, just loose hair.

It's just the season. Carpet really helps hide it if you've moved from a carpeted to a non-carpeted, also ceiling fans will hide it by blowing it into little floor balls. Priming is continuous until the come into prime for a couple weeks, then they go through the whole process again.

The warmer it is the more fur they'll blow too. I notice they do it a lot more this time of year.

Thanks Spoof, that helps. They are on linoleum, and no ceiling fans. I just hope it starts getting less severe soon. The hair is so light, it floats all over. They were in the same spot in winter with just some hair against the wall and the back of the cage on cage day.

Petra is currently priming.... She looks so rough and there is fur everywhere. I spend about 15 mins every morning grooming her. I basically lightly pinch the loose bits out and then generally light pinch the fur over her entire body... kinda mimicing what they do to each other when they groom one another. She loves it!!! She gets that dorky grin and and does the happy chirping noise. You could try that, helps keep the fur down. Good luck!

I have noticed more fur in the AC and around lately too. I bet it is priming.

Sorry, but could someone please explain what exactly priming is? Is it like seasonal shedding?

Chins are continuously growing new fur, that is called priming. They don't really ever stop but slow down a bit when they come into 'prime' - when the fur covering the bulk of their body is the same length and not growing.

If you were to pelt a chin and look at the skin it will look like a marble cake with white and dark grey swirls. It's been awhile but I think the white is where the fur is growing and grey where it is primed?

They go in and out their entire lives, usually coming into full prime spring and fall.

Latest posts

Back