HELP!!!! Chin acting strange(r than normal) and now squeeking like a dog toy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugg1993

Ok, we bought our new baby Punk 2 days ago, when we got her, her rear end looked funny, and we were informed that her exercise ball got kicked (hard enough to break in two) and but assured she was NOT in it when it happened. She was super timid, and urinated whenever we got near her cage. That was fine, and rather expected, if not annoying on the drive home, haha! She gotten much friendlier, and come up to us and licks our hands etc. She doesn't drink alot, but she eats plenty of her food. She doesn't play like my girlfriend said they should (her dad raised them for 10 years) But we've been letting her out for an hour or so every few hours. we let her out this evening before Natasha had to go to work, and she was alot mellower than normal. She climbed on my arms (I commented she felt VERY hot). Our house is about 65 F all the time... Anyway, After being out of her cage and playing an hour or so ago, she got back into her cage, so my girlfriend went to shut the door, and punk vaulted out of the cage and took off downstairs. I walked down after her (we keep all the door shut down there) and sat on the bottom step, and she had her head and half her front shoulders under the bathroom door. Odd, but I called her over and she bounced up kinda half hearted and licked my fingers (like she does when she wants her chin scratched) so I started scratching her chin and she bit me. I scooped her up (like you are supposed to) and brought her back upstairs and set her in her cage. Since then she's just been laying there. She moves around when you call her, then slumps down again. Now she is making a noise almost identical to a dogs chewie toy. Did she hurt herself under the door? or did the old owner (who was terrified of her..?) hurt her in some way? Natasha and I are incredibly worried about our baby chin, and have no idea what to do (as it is 1am, and we don't have an emergency vet) I am posting a video on youtube of a recording of what she sounds like.

Link below
http://youtu.be/Cq9__89OsNk

I am relatively new here, but I would definitely take her to the vet. That doesn't sound good. Also I wouldn't take her out, so she can get used to her surroundings first. This ia a great forum withs lots of info. Good luck, I hope it all works out.

First off, back WAY off on the playtime on a new chin, she needs to get used to her surroundings and chasing her around is not going to do that. The sound is a warning call, she is scared and calling the herd, you also sound like you stressed her out to the point of exhaustion, you could end up giving her a low blood sugar seizure if it keeps up like this or heat stroke even though the room is cool.

Take her to the vet!

We learned the hard way that chins tend to play very hard if they can and can overheat even in 65 degrees. Our little Vincenza will go until she's boiling. We only give her 15 minute play times now.

It's up to a bit of argument but when we got both of our chins we got them in to the vet right away to do fecals and the like. It might be worth getting yours in soon.

Ticklechin is completely right. You have to give chins time to adjust to there surroundings BEFORE you even start handling them. How old is the chin? They cannot have playtime until 6 months because they are still growing and need all the calories they can get at that stage.

You must of terrifed the poor chin chasing her around like that. That sound is normal, but it means she's scared and stressed. Basically, it's not a good noise you want to be hearing. If your gf's dad raised them for 10+ years, he shoudl of told you this stuff already.

Double post, sorry.

Last edited:
Back