HELP!!! Bringing home a new chin on Sunday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclm98

So excited to be bringing home a new chin on Sunday morning, he is 6 months old.:clap1:

However, after a year of researching.....now that I'm under the pressure I feel as though I know nothing.:hmm:

I have already purchased the following.....
*Cage - Ferret Nation 1 level (will be adding the 2nd level within the month)
*Bass Stainless Steel bottom drawer for the cage
*Oxbow - Food, Timothy Hay (breeder said that's what he's on now) and Poof Blue Cloud Dust
*Pine Shavings
*Chinchilla Bath House
*Lixit Glass Water Bottle

I know I definitely have to purchase a hut/house and a litter pan.......
With that being said I'm hoping to get some feedback on some safe stuff (including those two items) that I can purchase at a local Petco, Petsmart or Kahoots pet store until I can order online and get things shipped to me ordered online.

I'm also going to cover all the shelves/platforms with fleece until I can get some chinchilla safe ones online as well.

Any and all feedback would be welcomed.;)

Thank you!

Sorry, I Posted This Thread Twice

So sorry this is on here twice.
Being new at this, when it didn't show up after quite a while I thought my first attempt didn't work correctly.

You can get a Pyrex dish for a litter pan, they work really well and are fairly cheap especially if you find the off brand ones. For a hut you can get the All Living Things one that Petsmart sells or the equivalent from a different store. You'll need a food dish too, something heavy enough that it won't tip or one that attaches to the side of the cage. You can get them from the pet stores, either in the small animal section or bird section. You will also need something for your chin to chew on. Here's a thread about good toys you can get at pet stores. Get some extra fleece so that you can cover the top of the cage too, it helps them to feel more secure. That's about all I can think of right now, hopefully others chime in with their thoughts. Congrats on the new chin!

i would recommend getting a sheet of fleece that matches the dimensions of the bass tray (2ft x 3ft i believe). Its a great thing to put under the tray. Other wise when the chin hopes around you will have the metal tray banging on the metal cage. The fleece will help dampen that sound out a good bit.

Got the pyrex dish and the chew toys.....all is working perfect becky12883. Thank you!!!
I also took your advice Godofgods and got a piece of fleece to put under the tray. Works like a charm. Thanks so much!!!

Back