HELP ASAP!! Unexpected pregnancy and escaping kits!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josie121

We purchased our chin Mocha from a pet store and didn't know she was pregnant at the time. January 16th she gave birth to two baby kits. The cage we have doesn't contain them though, and I don't have the money to buy a breeding cage. We have been using a GIANT tupperware container to house them with mom when we work, or sleep but I am worried about the effects it is having on the chins. Mocha is angry from being contained in the tupperware, and so we try and give her time in the cage alone, but that unintentionally weans the babies. What should their current average weights be? Phil (male) is at 165 grams and Lil (female) is at 157. As for the official way to wean them, what is the process? I think we have started it already by putting the babies in a carrier when we leave the room to do laundry or eat dinner and them sending them back with mom once we finish. Should this be stopped?

Also, any suggestions for my cage issue are welcome! We try and let mom and babies spend as much time in the cage as possible, but I am worried that as the kits keep growing they will keep trying to escape and eventually get stuck and/or hurt. I have tried wrapping scarves around the cage, lining it with cardboard too, nothing works, they are professional escape artists!! ANY AND ALL HELP IS WELCOME!

Also a disclaimer: I know that some chin owners will feel I am handling this irresponsibly because I am not buying a breeding cage, but I was not prepared financially to buy a pregnant chin!! I am trying my best to handle the situation in a way that is okay for everyone: my wallet and the chinnies!

What kind of cage do you have? Get some hardware cloth and wrap it around the cage, then zip tie it to the corners. It's not very expensive. You should cover the sides, the front, the back, and the top.

Hardware or feed stores will have hardware cloth with small spacing. Make sure it is at least as tall as the cage because they will climb the whole way up to escape.

People have already covered how to baby-proof your cage in an easy, cost effective manner.

As for the kits: have they been sexed? Can you post pics so that we can help you sex them? This will be important for determining the length of time that the kits can stay with the mom.

Storing chinchillas in tupperware containers: please do not continue to do this. There is not enough ventilation in such a container and chinchillas can eat through plastic which can lead to possible gut problems from ingesting plastic and more escaped chins.

Can you provide a picture or a description of the cage that you are currently housing the chins in? That would allow us to provide better suggestions re: suitability and potential changes that could make the cage increasingly kit safe.

I would also recommend searching the forum as there are a lot of threads on caring for kits, including unexpected ones, and weaning.

Yes, the kits have been sexed (as I posted before)! We determined that we have one boy and one girl "Phil (male) is at 165 grams and Lil (female) is at 157."

As per suggestions we have resolved the escaping issue! We purchased chicken wire and used string wire to attach it to the FN cage we have. As for the tupperware containers, please know that we lined it with felt to avoid them chewing at any plastic, and also covered it with wire mesh we had, instead of the tupperware lid.

Right now my only concern is that the male has been "mounting" his sister. I know they are both too young, but should I be concerned anyways?

Also, the weights I posted are a few days old, and the battery died on my scale, so I won't know new weights until tomorrow, but Phil is definitely so much bigger. Should I give mom and Lil some time without Phil each day to encourage her more time with mom?

I looked for information on weaning and couldn't find much which is why I posted. Is there is basic process I should follow?

Back