Hello from Winnipeg

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candz

Hi! We're new owners of two amazing standard grey chins, male and female, from Winnipeg. They are Rambo and LaFur, both a year old and is living with us for 3 weeks.

The first time I laid eyes on a chin was when we went to a petstore to look around at the animals. I fell inlove instantly and wanted to get one right away. So I did a little bit of a research about them before purchasing one. We we're saving up for them when we saw an ad from a retiring chin farmer on kijiji who is selling his herd. So we went to see his farm and chins and it was like walking into a, as my boyfriend calls it, "chinchilla death march". The poor chins! We adopted LaFur and Rambo right away that very moment. We gave them their first home which may not have been the best, but most definitely much cozier than their previous habitat. We made it as comfortable and safe for them as we can. We didn't realize that Rambo fits his name until after a week. I was watching him eat when I noticed that he is missing his right arm. He also has a screw tail. It made us feel so sad for him, and felt more convincingly that it was right for us to go to that farm and adopt them. We hope though, that the other chins left in that farm found their furever home and never suffer the terror in that kind of place again.

Now, we got them a bigger home which we ordered online from All Pet Furniture (Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret Home) and they couldn't be any happier. They enjoy running around and jumping on the ledges which we had to adjust. We are still working on getting to know them and providing them more attention and care that they deserve. We hope to learn more from this forum about chin care.

Loving parents of Rambo and LaFur,
Mar and Candz

Welcome to all of you. :)

Just wanted to ask quick, is your intention to breed? Because if you have a male and a female together, even for seconds, they are going to breed and possibly produce kits. If that was your intention, then you might want to read through the Breeding and Babies section and you'll want to be sure that your cage is appropriate for kits. A feisty ferret will not be safe for kits to be delivered in.

Well this is very very exciting for me!!! Another member on the forums from Winnipeg! I haven't seen anyone besides me from Winnipeg on the forums in the years I have been here. I saw that Kijiji ad about the retiring herd, but knew that no "reputable" breeders were in Manitoba, much less Winnipeg.

I have been known to say Kijiji Winnipeg is a special kind of stupid when it comes to chins for sale ads... I am currently not supposed to be looking at those ads (I have 2 kijiji boys by the way,..lol), but I admit I do.

I am so happy you have found the forums. They will help you so much. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to hear what I have found useful local or online.

I just saw from your profile that indeed you do have a male female pair. It would be a really bad idea to let them breed, but the good news is everyone here can offer great suggestion on how to separate the chinnies,..or their cage if you only have one.

This is why I said that Winnipeg has a special kind of stupid going on on Kijiji,...way too many shady people offering "breeding pairs" unfortunately.

Good luck!

Hi!! Cute names (does Rambo the character have one arm? I never knew that).

I agree with the breeding thing, and would like to say welcome!!

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you have done these chins a big favor by giving them a better life with you. That is so great!

thanks everyone for the warm welcome! My boyrfriend originally wanted to breed, that's why we got a girl and a female. But I didn't do research on it since I wasn't planning on getting two chins. i'm worried now that they might have and that Lafur might be pregnant! As of now I am separating them, I hope I'm not too late :(. I will be reading through the thread about breeding just in case she does get pregnant.

I'm so glad I found this forum, there are a lot of genuine people here who cares a lot about chins and whose also willing to help people like us who are new chin parents and know a little about taking care of them.

- Candz & Mar

Welcome to all of you. :)

Just wanted to ask quick, is your intention to breed? Because if you have a male and a female together, even for seconds, they are going to breed and possibly produce kits. If that was your intention, then you might want to read through the Breeding and Babies section and you'll want to be sure that your cage is appropriate for kits. A feisty ferret will not be safe for kits to be delivered in.

Hi Tunes,

This was originally what Mar wanted, but I didn't do research on it. So we don't know the do's and dont's about breeding. I don't want them to get harmed because of our ignorance, so after I read you're msg i separated them right away. I sure will read the thread about breeding today.

- Candz

Well this is very very exciting for me!!! Another member on the forums from Winnipeg! I haven't seen anyone besides me from Winnipeg on the forums in the years I have been here. I saw that Kijiji ad about the retiring herd, but knew that no "reputable" breeders were in Manitoba, much less Winnipeg.

I have been known to say Kijiji Winnipeg is a special kind of stupid when it comes to chins for sale ads... I am currently not supposed to be looking at those ads (I have 2 kijiji boys by the way,..lol), but I admit I do.

I am so happy you have found the forums. They will help you so much. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to hear what I have found useful local or online.

Hey there Jen!

Wow! I'm glad there's another one here on the forum from Winnipeg! We're newbie chin parens and we have failed to find another in the city who can help give us information on how to give the best care to our wonderful furballs.

We have searched for a reputable breeder in Manitoba in vain. I was considering getting one from breeders in Ontario when I bumped into the kijiji ad. I would say that it was disappointing because the farmer had nothing to share about genuinely caring for chins. So we brought home LaFur and Rambo relying only on internet research about chin care. And that's when I found this forum :)

Do you know if we have a vet here who is familiar with chins?

You'll be hearing a LOT from us asking you with questions, so I hope you wouldn't mind us bugging you hehe

- Candz

Hi!! Cute names (does Rambo the character have one arm? I never knew that).

I agree with the breeding thing, and would like to say welcome!!

Actually my boyfriend gave him the name Rambo and then found out a week later that he only has one arm. We thought the name suited him because he is tough like Rambo :) but good point on the character though haha

Now y'all got us worried about the breeding thing! As now we have separated them in their cage. I hope LaFur is not yet pregnant...

It's great to see that you are willing to take everyones advice about the breeding issue. If you are getting the 2 level feisty ferret cage I am pretty sure that you can order a metal pan from Grandview Rabbitry that will split the cage in half nicely. He has great prices there and does do custom work!
http://grandviewrabbitry.com/store/categories.php?category=Trays

In the mean time they will just have to make do in whatever cages you have on hand, but they will be fine, and hopefully your girl isn't pregnant, though you will have to work on the assumption she is at least for now.

Good luck! It would be nice to see some pics of your little fluffs! ;)

It took me a while to write my last post so I missed your question about the Vet sorry! I do know of a few Vets here. It is hard for me to tell you for sure of a good Vet here because I am not really pleased with my current Vet, but Centennial Animal Hospital looks very promising. They are the only Clinic in the city that are equipped to do dental x-rays on Chins and that is key.

It took me a while to write my last post so I missed your question about the Vet sorry! I do know of a few Vets here. It is hard for me to tell you for sure of a good Vet here because I am not really pleased with my current Vet, but Centennial Animal Hospital looks very promising. They are the only Clinic in the city that are equipped to do dental x-rays on Chins and that is key.

Thanks so much for the help Jen! The website looks promising, it will be duly noted. And so is the animal hospital.

We're still working on making their cage more homey for them. We plan on making the ledges. I'll read through the breeding thread to make sure that we make LaFur's cage safe for her and her kit.

:wave: Hello & warm welcome to you & your new furry slave drivers. ;)

Back