Hello from PA TOO!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcammauf

Hello! I am new the Chins and Hedgies but not to owning chinchillas. I started 2 years ago with 2 standard females. I have since added 2 white mosaics. Got lucky and had NO problems having them warm up to me. I just got 2 beige females from and friend of a friend of a friend... They knew I had chinnies so they asked for my help with them. The one is a sprayer, which doesn't really bother me. I have had them for 3 weeks and can't seem to get their trust. I know it can take time. They were not in the greatest shape when I got them. I don't think they got much playtime either. They are coming along ok with their hygiene. But can't really get them clean the way I would like. They hate to be held!! Should I just keep up with the dust baths? I have them in a separate room where I quarantined them. But can't give them the playtime in that room. I have them in the cage I got them in. It is only a small cage 30" x 30" x 17". They have a 15" chin spin which they love, which takes up a lot or room!! Should I just keep them in there until I gain their trust. I have a chinnie proof room that I would love to give them playtime everyday where I house the other chins. I have to carry their cage now into the bathroom where they come out on their own and go back in when they are done. I have a ferret nation that I am planning on putting them into. But don't know if I should wait until they are ready. I don't want to scare them anymore than I have to. I am not even sure how they will do with the other chins in the room. NO they will not be out together!! They all have their own cages and playtime. It would just be easier if I could have them in the same room as the others. I'm afraid the bigger cage will overwhelm them?? Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello and welcome to the forum!! :wave:

If they don't have anything majorly wrong with their fur (like mold), I'd just keep up with the dust baths 2-3 times a week.

I don't think a bigger cage would overwhelm them. Yes, sometimes chins don't like change, but this would be a very good change. :)) They are also very curious animals, they'll probably like exploring the extra space! Having more space would be less stressful too IMO. Plus they'll still have their cage accessories with their scent on it, right? At least that will remain familiar.

Good luck with them!! I'm sure you'll gain their trust soon :cute:

Back