Hello from Ohio

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinjunky

My name is Jason and I've got a friend that has a chinchilla and got it from a pet store and I'm thinking I want to find one from a breeder. Really like the blacks and Mosaics. Complete opposites I KKNOW!!!!!

Hello & welcome to CnH and to a fellow Buckeye - Jason!

When and if you decide you are ready for a chin, check out my website. I have several mosaics and blacks available that would make great pets!

Go Buckeyes! I grew up in Ohio, it's always nice to meet others from the same little patch of Earth. :)

EMSChins, I lived in West Chester for a brief time, and I've never met anyone else that even knows where that is! Small world!

You have beautiful animals EMSchins! But I'm from the other corner of the state. That is a little far for me to travel there is a Jt&c chins nearby. Are they on here?

Hi there and welcome!

I am from Northeast Ohio! The closest breeder to me is Ryerson's Chinchillas and they are in Plymouth, Ohio. That's still two hours away from me though!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. :)

JT Chins used to be on here until one of them passed away a few years ago. They have very nice chins. I have had a few myself.

There is also Che' Chinchillas in Circleville, Shoots in Columbus, Hummel in Shelby, Ryerson's in Plymouth, Ritterspach in Jenera, Hendryx in West Chester (sure there are several that I have missed but all the breeders listed show and do well at show)......

Ohio is a hot spot of good breeders if you find yourself lucky enough to live here.

It's great to have so many breeders here!

Jt&c chins look to have nice animals and show. I've been stalking their facebook page for awhile. Which brings me to another point my friend and I have been debating, can black velvet be carried?

Hi and Welcome :)

Jt&c chins look to have nice animals and show. I've been stalking their facebook page for awhile. Which brings me to another point my friend and I have been debating, can black velvet be carried?

I am uncertain if you are wondering if the Black Velvet gene can be carrier like a sapphire can be carried.

Ex: Standard sapphire carrier, Standard Violet carrier.

If that is your question, the answer is no. The Black Velvet gene is dominant and not recessive.

BV is a dominant gene. It cannot be carried and it is not recessive as reported on Coty's FB page. Not even parts of it. It is simple genetics 101. Unfortunately many reputable breeders tried to correct that information and were banned from his site and their posts removed. They did so in a professional and polite manner but were attacked for trying to correct the misinformation that was available to the general public.

This is a direct quote from Bob Gunning, the developer of the BV, the Gunning Black, as quoted in Alice Klines book "Basic Genetics and History of Mutation Chinchillas":

"Many people have been interested in purchasing a black male in the hope of darkening up their herd of standard animals. We are very emphatic in saying this cannot be done. In most cases they are a phase lighter than their standard parent. By the same token, the black offspring in such a mating could very well be much blacker than the black parent, providing the standard parent was dark and had black veiling."

How black or how good the fur quality of the offspring will depend on the quality and type of standard animal mated to the black but the standard offspring show no black - nor do they carry it.

Alice goes on to clarify that the BV is ..."a dominant mutation. In very simple terms, if the animals shoes any degree of the black mutant factor, it carries the black mutation gene. If it does not show any black mutation factor, it is nothing more than a standard gray chinchilla and does not carry the black mutation gene."

I don't know how it could be any clearer than that.

Also Jason - something to consider if it is at all close to you, I make occasional trips to Medina if you see a chin that interests you and Medina is close.

Hello Jason!

There have been several things (that have since been pulled, including the post you are referring to) on that page that have been incorrect. I am sorry that you have been misinformed, but no the black velvet gene cannot be carried, there are no homo violets, and if you ever do actually see a "maroon" chinchilla than it has awful clarity....please whatever you do, do not try to reproduce more of them. Hopefully with time and experience the person who is currently running JT&C chinchillas will stop posting information that is both confusing and incorrect. Now, please understand, by saying this I am in no way attacking this person or the animals that they breed.

I sure hope you find your perfect fuzz butt, no matter who you purchase them from :) Good Luck!

Welcome, Jason! I moved from Delaware, OH a year ago. I hope you are able to find all the information you need. Everyone here has been very helpful for me.

~Shannon Marie~

Latest posts

Back