Hello from Irondequoit, NY

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inzeos

Hello, I've been reading this forum for a while now. Recently I have also been posting, receiving great feedback and trying to contribute when I can.

My wife and I got our first Chinchilla named Cheecher's as a local rescue from Rochester, NY. Cheecher's is a friendly, calm black velvet female. We believe she is young; however, she was left on a loading dock and we know nothing else about her.

This weekend we expanded our family by rescuing two more chins from a Craiglist ad. We paid a modest rehoming fee for a not so great cage, pet supplies and the two chins. The owners believe that both chins are around a year old; however, we are not confident on their advertised age. The female is a lovely mosaic (yet to be named) and the male is small standard (yet to be named).

We are currently housing our herd(?) in two different Ferret Nation 142 cages with plenty of custom home made perches and huts.

My wife and I are willing to assist with fostering and rail roading chins in need.

For those near us I would love to know where you shop locally (besides Petco/Petsmart).

Hi and welcome! I think it is wonderful that you have saved these 3 chins and are giving them the chance to have a great life :)

Thanks Jenn! Just wish we had more resources to rescue more of the chins in our area. I'm guessing many of the forum members probably feel the same. There is an older chin named Waldo in our area who really looks like he needs rescuing.

Welcome! There is a GREAT hay farmer in Bloomfield if you're looking for great quality hay for your chins. Also, I ordered some PRCS from a feed store in Nunda (sp?) if you're interested in splitting the 50lbs bag with me....

kogia, thanks for the tip about the hay! What types of hay do they offer?

Is PRCS the Purina rabbit feed? I might be interested in taking some of that off your hands. PM me with pricing.

Nice to see Irondequoit pop up on the boards :)

I used to live on the other side of Rochester...

Welcome to CnH

welcome to the group.

my fiance' makes most of the wood stuff in the cages.

i buy my feed & shavings & some hay from my local feed store

everything else I buy from members here! i would rather support the members here than shop at random pet sites. ;)

Hey...I am in Rochester. Penfield to be exact. I used to shop exclusively at Doolittles in Webster before they closed. Now I mainly get my supplies at Petco. Nota lot of choices around here, unfortunatly.

I just have one little furball..Trixie, age 5. Maybe we can get together and meet each others chins.

Hi Marie,

There are a handful of us on the forums it appears within an hour or so of Rochester proper. I think it might make sense to start considering buying bulk and possible meeting up once a month or so to split stuff up and share chin stories.

Its nice to see a fellow New Yorker on these boards. I am a resident of Webster, I have two chinchillas. Leroy and Echo. A male(white-pink) and a female(standard gray). I usually shop at Petsmart just because its location convenient, but I never buy animals from there.

If only doolittles had never closed ):

Welcome to CnH, hope you find information on her useful :)

Last edited:
I like Webster. My wife and I got married at the White House a few years ago. If you're interested I'm thinking about coordinating some of our local chin owners to get some group buys going.

I like Webster. My wife and I got married at the White House a few years ago. If you're interested I'm thinking about coordinating some of our local chin owners to get some group buys going.

Keep me posted. If you want, I will PM you my email or phone number

Latest posts

Back