Hedgehog is a BITER

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooMommy

We have had Pokey for only a little over a month, (I know, lots of warming up time left) but he is very curious when we put our hands into his cage.. We always wash our hands with dish soap before letting him sniff us. He comes right up to us and starts to lick, and lick...and lick until he follows our hands trying to get one more lick, and then he bites, and not just nibbles, but he BITES hard! We have tried using different soap incase he thought we smelled like food? Still goes crazy licking...then chomps down lol. I love him to death but now im nervous and dont even try..
any suggestions?

Satin would do that lick, lick, lick, CHOMP from time to time. Often, it was obvious: I'd used some lotion or whatnot. I'd have to hand her off (in a panic) to Hedgiedaddy while I washed and washed and washed because she could not be stopped. Lick, lick, lick, CHOMP! There were just some scents that, even though I couldn't smell them, *she* could. And it really sent her into an unstoppable frenzy.

When she was a baby, she did that to Hedgiedaddy every evening that he came home. I joked that he must have secretly worked in a meat-packing plant. I do miss those days - little hedgie girl... so small and so excited with HD came home. She did grow out of it. She used to anoint over his shoes... I don't suppose you work in the food industry?

Maybe it's a matter of finding the right soap to counter what you do during the day; eg, I needed to wash hands, arms, and belly with special chlorine-be-gone shampoo thoroughly after swimming in a pool, else she'd CHOMP.

Maybe it's a matter of your little one needing another month to figure the difference between you and food.

I am really happy to hear that the chomps are preceeded by licking. To me, that suggest he's curious and exploring rather than angry and aggressive.

For now, I think if I were in your situation, I'd get a small piece of fleece (washed in unscented detergent and no fabric softener or dryer sheet) and hold him in that. You'll have a layer of protection between you and his little teeth that's thin enough that your scent will pass through. You want him to get used to your scent.

The only other thing I can think of is that he's hungry - maybe his current food situation isn't working out for him. What kind of food does he normally have? And how much does he eat?

ETA: Garlic and cigarettes are two other things that seem to set them into a chomping frenzy - any possibility that's what's going on?

Last edited:
during the day I am a stay at home mom, but so far he has only bitten my husband (who IS a smoker) so maybe that could be it.. he has licked my hands over and over. After he started biting my husband, I just started assuming that it would lead to a bite, so it made me nervous to let him get the chance to lick anymore. The food he is on is spikes delight, and cat treats and freeze dried mealies for a snack lol

Ah ha! Cigarettes. These little ones are pretty sensitive to picking up on that. I'm not so sure what soap might remove that scent quickly. Before MI went smoke-free in all public places, we'd really have to think about how to handle Satin if we went out for the evening... mostly we'd just have to snuggle early and then not again until the next morning after we'd washed/showered twice. Maybe you'll be "safe" on your own and hubby will need to use the fleece ;)

You might want to think about adding a second kind of food to his regular kibble. Although many companies will claim their food is nutritionally complete, it typically isn't, so it's nice to have a blend where one of their staple foods can pick up where the other leaves off. Also, sometimes, companies change the formulas and hedgies don't care for the change and then go on a hunger strike... refusing to eat anything but their favorite kibble.

that is good to know about the food, he dosent eat a whole lot of it, so I will have to try mixing them :)
I will be getting him out later and hoping for a non-biting experience lol

Back