Hedgehog in Jacksonville Fl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescue Momma

Hello all,
I know this may not be the right place for this but I wasn't real sure where to put it.
I have a hedgehog that is going to be surrendered to me shortly. I have no idea what to do with it. Having a house full of chins I think it may be to cold for them. I also have no idea what to feed it.
If you are in Jacksonville and may be interested in adopting it please contact me.
I need to get more info from the person surrendering it I don't remember what he told me. Age sex temperment.
I rescue exotics but this is the first hedgehog and I have not done my research yet on it's care.
Thank you for your time.

Bobbi
BFF Rescue
[email protected]

I'll assume you'll be holding on to this little one for at least a short period of time.
  • You're right that s/he's going to need to be warmer than the chins... hedgies differ, but most do well around 75F. Given you're in Florida, you might get away without a heating unit, but the temp may drop at night and s/he'll need something... space heater is probably the easiest if you'll only have him/her for a short time.
  • Lighting is important - maybe 12-14 hours on and then off at night... try and keep the "on" and "off" times consistent. And don't just rely upon daylight to be enough if it's overcast.
  • Fleece works well as something to make the house comfy. And s/he'll need a hidey place.
  • Food... hopefully, s/he'll come with some food. If not, get a small bag of something good -- maybe Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul - light. Or Wellness Indoor or Healthy Weight. Or Innova. Or.... check the sticky on foods.
  • Water from a dish is good.
  • S/he'll need something to keep from being bored and to keep healthy - a wheel is good. Again, assuming you'll only have the hedgie for a very short time, you might get away with no wheel... but I'll tell you one of mine quite literally climbed the walls and absolutely needed a wheel else the situation could get dangerous (climbing too high and falling). I'd advise a Comfort Wheel from a place like PetCo or Pet Supplies Plus or whatever you have there.

Of course, if you'll be keeping the little one longer term, I'd have slightly different advice - like a better heating set-up, a blend of more than one kibble, veggies, a bucket wheel, and so on... But at least here's something to get you started. Be sure to read through the FAQ's and stickies on the board - there's a lot to know!

Thank you so much for the info. I typically do much research before I take in sometjing I have not had before. But lately I have been so busy with work & animals I just have not had time. I usually quarintine for a few weeks before I bring themi
in with the rest of the group.
Honestly tho I was hoping to find someone who had them already that may have wanted him.
could just move him directly to that person & hopefully cut down on it's stress
The less moves the better I think.
I have a extra wheel and a heat source. I really appreciate the help & info.
Bobbi
BFF Rescue

Back