Heater?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

Alright, so my heater hasn't been used since I got my chins. It gets rather cold in my bedroom and while I can manage, I wanted some input in case I can ease my suffering Lol.

My chins are both in separate double CNs, one being right next the heater. Now my bedroom is always a safe temperature for them, but I was wondering if it would be alright to turn it on?

It's about 2 inches away from the cage, and I can't move the cage farther away.
Obviously I'd manage the temperatures to keep it cool enough, but would the heat that close to the cage be bad?

I mean it's a large cage so he could escape to the top of it, but I'm unsure if that would be a solution or not.

Depending on the type of heater you have they make a contraption that redirects air from regular floor or ceiling vents. I am not sure what it is called, but it will aim the air away from the cage and can be purchased at most hardware stores for fairly cheap.

I don't know if the heater being that close is a problem though, that's why I'm asking.
I'm not sure how that would stop the heat? A board is only like 6" wide so I'd need a bunch. Plus I'm a bit weary of wood touching the heater like that.

Would it be better to get a small electric heater and aim it away from the cages? Using the one already in the bedroom would be easier for me but if it's not a good option I'll look into other ones.

No, I would not put a chin 2 inches away from a heater if the heater is going to be on. Heaters can suddenly get warmer or cooler all on their own. I would not risk it suddenly getting a whole lot warmer with my chin nearby and I definitely wouldn't be piling a heater with wood and cardboard.

I would go with the small electric heater.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure before I went out and got one. :]

Back