Heat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

I got my chin sometime in september from a former owner. My room was really warm this morning i noticed that my chin had his hands tucked into himself and he was hunched over alittle. And he was just sitting there. I turned on a fan by the window (not open) to hopefully clear out the air. After five minutes and it still being warm i opened the window and a blast of cool air came in. I let it on for probably ten minutes then left for school. My mom turned the fan off because it started to rain. I think this scared me into getting something to cool him down. Does anybody have any links that will show me some things such as a cooling rock or a fleece bottle cover so he wont chew on it. ALSO I read symptoms of a heat stroke because of how he was acting this morning and although he wasnt showing signs im still worried. They said that chinchillas can have ice cubes to chew on. Is that true?

go to your local home depot or lowe's and get a marble or granite tile. break it in half. and then you have to chinchillers :)
it's cheaper then buying an actual chinchiller.
i do know that Annieo on here makes fleece bottle covers. you can find her in the Chin Supplies for Sale section.
about the ice cubes, i have no idea never heard of it. hopefully someone with more experience with chinnies can help you :)

Thanks so much! Ive been nagging my mom to get a granite tile. Im not savvy in that department. So is there diffrent types of granite or is there just one? does it matter what it looks like or anything?

i'm pretty sure there is only one type of granite tile. it's in the natural stone section. and nope look doesn't matter it's whatever you wanna have in the cage.
also check to see if they have any that have broken, cause they usually take a little off the price.

you should be able to get them to cut it for free also - just have to mark it, but they should give you ruler and marker to do it...

Keep in mind that keeping a piece of granite in the cage at all times is not an effective method to keeping him cool. The only solution there is to have a cooler room.

the cheapo ceramic tiles work almost as good as granite or marble. i picked up some really nice ceramic tiles for less than 2 bucks each a while ago at home depot.

air conditioning is a must with chins if outside temperatures are making your house be over 70 degrees. in the winter/cooler months, you can crack a window as long as the humidity outside isn't high. my chin room has had the window open 24/7 since summer ended. even when it was -25 celcius here i had it cracked ever so slightly. my cages are not by the window, and no drafts blow on the chins at all. i've learned exactly how much to open the window in varying outside temperatures to keep the room between 68 and 70 (because i don't like freezing in there, but gotta keep the fuzzy boys cool enough).

Well i did open the window again tonight and cracked the window and put a fan in the window so that the air would come in and it helped ALOT. My room is the coolest in my house its just at points it seems like it gets warm in there so i always make sure that when it is i crack the window and put the fan on. Im just trying to find ways that i can keep him cool with stuff inside his cage. His cage isnt in the way of the fan or the wind coming in. Its off to the side but it still gets cool. :) Hes fine now.

it is always good to have a thermometer in the room a chin is housed in. just feeling if the room is warm or not isn't very good, because what feels warm to us is mighty warm for chins.

many members here use a digital thermometer that also measures the humidity. you can find these at walmart.

Latest posts

Back