Healing cut

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

What exactly should a healing cut look like? This isn't normal, but it would be nice to know what is.
My chinchilla got a cut on her cheek and it scabbed over and the other day looked like it was peeling off. Tonight I heard her making noises that sounded like she was hurt. I looked at her cheek and the scab is gone, but in it's place is a bump. What could have happened?
If it's infected, what has to be done? I'm freaking out and kind of looking for an idea of what to expect.
It had been glued shut and seemed like it was healing up just fine until I saw this.

If she had a wound, it's possible that there was a puncture that went down deep into the skin/muscle underneath, in which case she could now have an abscess (a pocket of infection under the skin). If it is an abscess, healing on the outside is actually a bad thing, because an abscess needs to heel from the inside out, so it's good to keep the wound open and draining until it is finished healing.

IF it is an abscess, a vet will have to open it up so it can drain, and you will most likely need to put her on antibiotics, trimethoprim sulfa will usually take care of it.

Either way, if she has a lump under her skin, I would check with a vet. Find out if it's a cyst, an abscess, or what. It may be something that will just go away on it's own, but if it's an abscess, it will need a little help.

If I can get help taking a picture, then I'll get that posted. She just yells at me when I try to touch it, so it's rather hard.
The lump has a small spot on it where I can see a scar I believe. The lump also seemed rather soft. It wasn't just some big ol' hard unmoving lump.
The wound was pretty deep. I think they said it almost went through the muscle.I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back. It's been around two weeks since it happened.
It's just been one thing after another for the poor girl.

Latest posts

Back