he got pee all over his fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutherford

i peer into your soul
I may just be paranoid, but I still want to make sure Rutherford is okay...

When my girlfriend came over, I grabbed Rutherford from his cage so she can give him the usual hugs and kisses. Right before I handed Rutherford to my girlfriend, she noticed that the fur around his genital region was a tannish-brown color! Rutherford is an expert on hair-ring checks, so in close to the two years that I have had in, I've only removed small hair rings once or twice. Of course, I immediately checked to see if there was a hair ring, and luckily, there were none.

He seems absolutely fine! He's eating, drinking, chewing on hanging toys, running on his wheel, being a boss of his cage. Do you think maybe he just sat on a puddle of pee? The new fleece liners are a lot thinner than his previous fleece liners, so maybe the absorbance isn't quite as great.

I just want him to be okay! Any advice or insight is appreciated!

Could easily be that he was just sitting a little too close to the fleece when he peed as its not an instant absorb. My girls have it happen too!

Oh, I'm so glad it's not anything major. He really scared me! What do you use to wipe off the stain on the fur? A moist paper towel didn't work for me.

Last edited:
Use an unscented baby wipe to clean the area. Let it dry and if there is still some staining give the chinchilla a dust bath. If you mix some cornstarch into the dust, it will help with the stains.

Latest posts

Back