Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccchins

Ok so something has been bothering me and I need some answers. Why is it that everyone says that chins need unlimited amounts of hay but large breeders do not offer hay to their chins? I do give my chins fresh hay everyday this is just something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Thanks everyone.

I didn't know that large breeders didn't supplement with hay, so I'm curious to know the answer to this, too. I usually give my chinnies timothy-alfalfa cubes, since they seem to be tidier than loose hay and don't clog up my shop vac.

Both my chins love timothy hay. My male loves alfalfa cubes, my female barely touches hers. Could be the mess timothy hay makes. My cages look like an explosion took place 2 min after they get their hay.

Why is it that everyone says that chins need unlimited amounts of hay but large breeders do not offer hay to their chins?
I don't know where this rumor popped up originally, some ranchers offer it as entertainment for the chins but most don't. I use hay cubes, not because they need them but because it entertains them and gives me a buffer on the amount of days I can be gone in between feedings. The more cubes/hay offered, the less pellets they eat.

Pellets are 70-80% hay. They can live 20+ years on a good pellet only so there is no true need.

On the other hand, it is your pet. It's ok to spoil them silly. :))

Mine are given fresh hay once a day. I was giving timothy but since timothy is so awful now I am feeding orchard hay and timothy hay cubes.

I know going to Bowen ranch when they were still around they had bales of hay.

Mine are given fresh hay once a day. I was giving timothy but since timothy is so awful now I am feeding orchard hay and timothy hay cubes.

I know going to Bowen ranch when they were still around they had bales of hay.

Snickers - where do you get hay now? I used to get some from a lady in Irvine, CA but I moved north and I don't think she even sells hay anymore.

Snickers - where do you get hay now? I used to get some from a lady in Irvine, CA but I moved north and I don't think she even sells hay anymore.

Local feed store I buy it by the bale. If the hay is really bad here I'll go to Norco (which is horse city) which is about 1 hour away. Don't know if you have chins yet but next time I'm in your area to pick up dust/rocks I can drop by to drop some off.

Local feed store I buy it by the bale. If the hay is really bad here I'll go to Norco (which is horse city) which is about 1 hour away. Don't know if you have chins yet but next time I'm in your area to pick up dust/rocks I can drop by to drop some off.

I'm hoping to get a chin in the next month or so, so I'd definitely love to get hay from you! :D And yes, Norco is the smelly city (its cow central out there!). lol

And, you can get dust from the plant out here? I was told they don't sell to individuals! Hmmm.... good to know!

I thought hay was also good because chins need a variety of textures to keep their teeth trim?

I feed mostly cubed and give loose to everyone once or twice a week, and to moms/babies more often. I buy my hay from a local farmer by the bale.

Latest posts

Back