Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are different kinds out there that they can have but the other hays they can only be give a little bit of it about once a week. Where as they should be given Timothy Hay daily.

Orchard Grass, Bermuda Grass, etc.

I want to say Bluegrass but that doesn't sound right. Lol

I agree that they should be given Timothy hay daily, but there's no reason they can't have the other hays more often than once a week. All the different hays wear their teeth differently, so providing different hays often can only be beneficial to them. The hay we feed is a mix of timothy, alfalfa, orchard grass, and rye. Before we switched to that blend, we used to feed timothy alone, and we'd get in some rescues that would develop teeth points and need their teeth filed. Since we switched to the grass hay mix... no teeth points (we only have to deal with our malo chins now). That could be a coincidence, but it also could be that the different hays are wearing the teeth down effectively, the way one single hay might not.

They can have all sorts of hay. There is alfalfa, orchard grass, bermuda grass, botanical hay, oat hay (good for those lazy chewers), rye (not much nutrients, but again, good and coarse for lazy chewers), and meadow hay. And I may be missing some.

bluegrass hay you can give as well. my girl loves it :) she only gets a tiny handful a day.
that way she's still eating her timothy hay which she loves.

My girls are big fans of bluegrass as well but I have trouble finding it for a good price. I feed timothy everyday as well and give them alfalfa cubes once a week or so.

Latest posts

Back