Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillasByDesign

Professional Cage Cleaner
We are looking at buying some locally grown hay, and are finding it difficult to find Timothy hay. Does anyone know anything about "orchard grass" or "grass hay"? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Orchard grass is basically the same nutritionally as timothy, I've just found that it isn't as coarse, it tends to be softer I think. Grass type hay is what you want, timothy and orchard grass are both grass type hays.

I offer timothy everyday and orchard as a treat a couple times a week. Mine LOVE the orchard grass! They go nuts for it and they eat it all, usually we have some timothy left in the morning but not a shred of orchard.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but do any members still sell hay on this board? I ordered a nice big box of hay from a member on CnQ, and I can't remember who now. :(

Sorry to hijack your thread, but do any members still sell hay on this board? I ordered a nice big box of hay from a member on CnQ, and I can't remember who now. :(

Did you maybe get it from Kathleen at Diamond Bar Chinchillas? She was known as Country Exotics on cnq. Anyways I know I got a big box of hay from her. I think her user name on here is Diamond Bar Chins you could try pming her to see if she still has some.

I buy "grass" hay from a local farmer. They don't call it orchard grass or Timothy, but I know that it really doesn't matter. (As long as it is a grass type hay, you're good.) It is a mix of some softer green and coarser yellow. Idgie eats it, so I'm happy. Plus, I buy a freshly cut bale for $6 in the fall and it lasts me all year. Can't beat the price, though storage is a challenge for some people.

Back