Hay Shortage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, worst case scenario, I run out of hay before pay day (in two days, then I can buy more hay, and I'm pretty sure I'll have enough to last my boys 4 days or so, but still). The hay I'm running out of is their main hay, 2nd cutting timothy. They went through a 10 pound box in three months, not sure if that's normal hay consumage or not, but then again they are wasteful balls of fluff and I tend to toss half of the hay that's in the holder as it gets tossed on the cage floor and peed on. We're working on not having that happen as often. But I still have a lot of their secondary hay, which is orchard grass hay. Let's say they don't have timothy hay for a day or so. Would they be okay with just orchard, or would I have to take an emergency trip to the pet store?

Orchard is fine, they just need access to a grass hay all the time (which orchard is), timothy is just the most balanced in terms of nutrients and fiber. Orchard is actually a good alternative to replace timothy for those that have chins that wont eat timothy or are allergic.

They will be fine without any hay (or just orchard) for a few days so long as you are feeding a well balanced pellet. If they are genuinely wasting a lot give them less and allow them to clean it up for a day or two before adding more. You can also offset with cubed hay, it is easier to store and less messy. :)

Back