Hay racks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouncer36

What the best hay racks for a chinchilla?

God Is Good And His Love Last Forever

I like wooden ones with solid bottoms so there's less mess from it falling out. I also just like the look of the wood in the cage. I did buy one of those wire mesh cube ones that you hang from a chain. It's fun but I won't use it as their only hay source as I'm not sure they can get enough access to it.

The hay racks in the pet store are overpriced and don't do much. I enjoy using a clay pot :) it looks cute in the cage, and you can get them for like $1.

I've sewn up a fleece hay bag for my boy. Its a big one with an opening at the bottom to pull the hay down through although Pepper likes to sit up on his shelf and pull the hay out the top. I improvised the design but its 2 layers of fleece and all seams are contained. I find this works well for my purposes, even though the opening at the bottom is a bit big (which is not bad, considering how experimental it was).

The wire hay racks in stores aren't safe as a chin can get a foot/leg caught in them.

Several people make and seem wood hay holders, which I personally prefer. If only my guys wouldn't chew them to bits in the first 2 weeks.

In one of my cages, I have one of the small ceramic bath houses (like for hamsters) and I put hay in it. MaveRick seems to like it.

Latest posts

Back