Hay in Eye - Infection?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherLouWho

The Squee Queen
All:

This morning I went to feed Asa, and found that his left eye was a bit puffy and half-closed. I looked closer, and saw that he had somehow gotten a 3/4-inch long piece of hay in his eye sometime during the night.

I caught him, which he hates. He struggled a bit, but I was able to pull the piece straight out of the eye. The eyeball was not punctured (thank heaven!), but there was lots of "goop" on the end of the hay that was in his eye.

Tonight he is still holding it half closed. I know from my own experience that an irritated eye can take a couple of days to feel better, but I am worried about infection. What should I be on the lookout for, as far as symptoms?

Tomorrow is a holiday, of course (always seems to happen that way, doesn't it?!?), and I don't really want to take him to the expensive emergency vet, but should I?

Thanks much.

Poor guy. :(
I think it is ok to wait for the vet after the holiday. The hay probably made his eye pretty itchy and uncomfortable. Hopefully it will be feeling better tomorrow. If he still isn't opening the eye after tomorrow, or if it appears swollen/ has discharge, take him to the vet.

Just an update: Asa was pretty squinty all day on Wednesday, a little better yesterday, and almost completely better today. His eye is clear, and there does not seem to be any discharge. I will continue watching the eye, but I am cautiously optimistic that we have passed the worst of this.

Just an update: Asa was pretty squinty all day on Wednesday, a little better yesterday, and almost completely better today. His eye is clear, and there does not seem to be any discharge. I will continue watching the eye, but I am cautiously optimistic that we have passed the worst of this.

That's great news! I hope he continues getting better!

Latest posts

Back