Hay Holder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1122

Charged By Chins.
Hi,

I was wondering what you all use as hay holders/containers?
I tried searching on the forum, but had no luck.

Thanks!

I use big ceramic dog bowls, and they work great because they are heavy and won't tip, and your chin can sit on the edge. They also hold a lot of hay. The only downside is that they take up a lot of room.

i use two holders - a large metal coop cup that hangs off the cage bars beside a shelf, and a small thick glass kitchen canister laid on its side on the cage floor.

upright - sometimes I have to wire them to the sides of the cages if the chins decide to constantly knock them over Chins love to do all sorts of mischievous stuff

I use the econo hay rack and am in love with it.

Second one down:
http://www.bassequipment.com/Feeders/Feeding+Equipment+/default.aspx

I got the 11" and it's great. They don't pee in it and the hay stays clean. Access to it is easy as well through the bars. Shipping is a bit high but it only makes the entire price of it like $13 dollars. When I first got it I thought it was too big, but for 2 chins it works out really well. Not to mention it takes up no room inside.
IMG_3139.jpg

That looks nice, thanks. But I am only getting one chin, so it might be too big for just one.
Nice cage by the way!

looks like they have a 7.7 inch and an 11 inch so you could do the 7.7 :) i like the econo hay.... i might just get that

I use the econo hay rack and am in love with it.

Second one down:
http://www.bassequipment.com/Feeders/Feeding+Equipment+/default.aspx

I got the 11" and it's great. They don't pee in it and the hay stays clean. Access to it is easy as well through the bars. Shipping is a bit high but it only makes the entire price of it like $13 dollars. When I first got it I thought it was too big, but for 2 chins it works out really well. Not to mention it takes up no room inside.
IMG_3139.jpg

Is it ever hard for them to reach the hay through the bars?

Some hay fleece haybags, and one has a terracotta plant pot(small one). If it sit it upright it get knocks on the side anyway.
Both work

When I first got Trixie, I bought her a hanging hay holder. She used it, but got hay all over, and it sometimes seemed it was hard for her to get the hay out. Now I have a small ceramic cat food bowl. My husband fashioned a metal clip to attach it to the bar of her cage, so it would not tip. She will often sit in it to eat her hay or her food..as it is next to her food dish. She has also developed the habit of sitting on it to drink her water as her water bottle is on the same level. It is funny to watch her do that. :laughitup:

Is it ever hard for them to reach the hay through the bars?

Not that I've noticed, no. Smaller bars (like CN) tiny, might be an issue, but they can clean that bin out with no problem with my bar spacing (similar to FN). Of course, sometimes if they are bored, they just like to sit there and pull a piece out, take a bite and then chuck it. I don't worry about them running out though, which is very nice.

BTW...if you use a bowl for the hay, and your furkid, like Trixie, enjoys sitting in it....that means they will probably also be pooping in it. ;) And yes, I have put my hand in to pul out old hay, and have found it wet. Just a little heads up. :laughitup:

Back