Hay!!! first cut vs second cut lol

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

Hello I order hay from www.farmerdave.biz and they list first cut and second cut hay. I have always got second cut for my girl but is there any netritinoal difference between second and first cut. I have heard second cut is more tender. should I also be buying first cut and mixing it in? Is second cut only bad in any way?

Their site lists first cut as being for bunnies and second cut as being for chinchillas but I know sometimes internet sites can not always have accurate information.

I've ordered from them a couple times before. Most of the times were great the last time didn't go so well. Moist hay is a great way to get ring worm, not going to tempt fate. I get everything local now and the quality is better. I've always heard 1st cut has higher fiber and it gets lower the most cuts you do.

Nice I will try first cut next time, I'll watch out for moisture I didn't experience any so far and I have ordered from them a few times but I will certainly watch for that.

My chins favorite hay was first cutting local grass hay. I like to switch types of hay I feed because I feel like the chins got bored of eating the same stuff over and over.

"First cut tends to have relatively coarse stems (supplying the fiber a horse needs for proper digestion) since it grows the fastest.

Later cuttings tend to grow more slowly and the stems are finer and softer."

Back