Hay container

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcoChick

Kat
What do you put your hay in? I have a thing that sticks on the outside of the cage so she has to pull the hay through the bars. But I can't fill it too much, when I get home the hay is on the floor, inside and outside. I think I saw someone here with a cup filled with hay, but won't she knock it over? And also, she doesn't seem to completely eat the hay, she'll pick up a piece gnaw at it a bit, then drop it and move on to a new piece. Is that normal? Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot of questions, haha.;)

All this is normal for chins. They are big hay wasters. They only eat the 'piece' they like and drop the rest. It is just something one has to live with - with chins - hay all over the floor that has to be thrown away. They do eat some - that is important

I have just put it in their cages, had a hay box, a hay coffee cup. They made a mess with it. I now have a really big hay feeder from (Twilight Chinchillas-Christine) and so far, knock on wood, it is working great. They sit on the shelf in front and pull it out or they pull it out of the top. I used to spend extra time every night picking up all the hay all over the cages and now, I just vacuum the poop and feed. So much easier.

I have just placed hay in a corner of the cage before as my chin throws it all over anyways....in a ceramic bowl this helped with the mess ( a little) ....and most recently a wooden hay rack which I have yet to see if this makes any difference.....from what I have read all over the forums chins make a huge mess out of hay anyways LOL Im thinking the hay rack may help with the messy hay also I noticed when I bought a better quality hay there is sooo much less hay thrown all over....

I use fleece hay bags and they work pretty well...of course they still pull it out and throw it down!!:laughitup:

I use to use the fleece hay bags. However I found to many of my chins were pulling and pulling until they ripped the bag off the side of the cage. They did not chew on the fleece - just thought it was fun to tare the bag off.

What do you put your hay in? I have a thing that sticks on the outside of the cage so she has to pull the hay through the bars. But I can't fill it too much, when I get home the hay is on the floor, inside and outside. I think I saw someone here with a cup filled with hay, but won't she knock it over? And also, she doesn't seem to completely eat the hay, she'll pick up a piece gnaw at it a bit, then drop it and move on to a new piece. Is that normal? Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot of questions, haha.;)

I use what you use, I think. Mine sticks on the outside of the cage so she pulls the hay out between the bars. She loves making a mess of it, I wake up in the morning and theres hay everywhere! She eats most of it, but the peices she doesn't like she just throws somehwere for me to clean when I wake up.

I have another hay stash outside her cage for her to access whenever she wants. I orginally got it for my hamster to take dust baths in, but she got to big and fat to fit in, so I just fill it full of hay and let my chin use it. It's a "super pet ceramic bath house for hamsters", but it still makes a mess.

What's a fleece hay bag? I've never heard of them before, is it literally just a fleece bag filled with hay? lol

i use a terra cotta pot, it gets somewhat thrown around.
my chins eat it all but they have to eat their hay in a specific order. lol

Cat75, a member here on the board, makes hay holders and that's what I use. They waste so much hay- but as Barb said, that's just the way it is!

a terra cotta like snail flower pot that I found at wal-mart for $9.88
heavy enough they can't move it or tip it & deep enough to hold ALOT of hay...plus it's really cute in the cage :)

I have a wooden basket in my cage right now. Well, grapevine. Which Jack is destroying as we speak... But as they're pretty cheap, I don't mind replacing them. And he gets dinner and a toy! It has a handle on it, which seems to keep him from chucking the hay out too much.

Back