hay amount

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJJ

chinnies215
How much hay do you feed a pair of chinchillas daily? I give Anubis and Hathor a handful in a box each day, but I'd say most of it ends up on the bottom of the cage..

You can not overfeed hay or pellets for that matter. Hay is quite messy and for the most part it seems more winds up not eaten than eaten sometimes. A handful for the two of them is just fine

They should have access to unlimited amounts of hay. If they eat a handful a day, give them more. You don't need to stick a whole bale in there, but there should be more than enough for them. Some chins eat more hay than others, so it depends on the chin. A handful a day is all my chins need. If they eat all of it, give them more.
Also, sometimes if the hay is in there more than a day, my chins won't eat it cause it isn't fresh enough.

As for the hay everywhere.... that's just how it is. I have it on the floor, on their cage floor, in their hammock, on my clothes, there's nothing I can do about it. Some people use fleece hay bags and they like how they work better, but it's up to you

I throw in a fresh handful of hay when they all start waking up late afternoon to early evening. IMO, my chins seem to dig in more and eat more of it at that time.

I usually give a handful in the morning before work and then another when I get home. I also pull out all of the hay that is on the floor of the cage. I've watched my chin pull all her hay out and started digging for the "perfect" piece to eat. If your chins are eating more than a handful, then give them more hay. You can't give them too much.

I have a wooden hay box that I refill and clean out every day at night; I guess it's about 1-2 handfuls of hay. Sometimes I give another handful in the morning if it's been cleaned out, but I do that very rarely since it seems that my chin only likes to eat her hay when the sun is down. She tends to eat more pellets during the day time.

Latest posts

Back