Having trouble with food switch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie5656

Chinchilla slave
I had been buying Trixie's Mazuri food at Pet Smart. So, a while back I went for another bag and found it gone. Turns out they have discontinued selling it. The other Pet Smart near me did not have more either. So I was talking with the sales person, also a Mazuri user for her hamsters. She suggested Oxbow. Which I could live with as I know it gets good reviews from people here.
Here lies the problem. I was not expecting to have to suddenly change her food, and did not have a lot of her Mazuri left, in order to wean her into the change. Needless to say, the switch is not going well at all. She has gone back to pushing all the food out of her dish onto the floor of her cage. I am not sure how much she is actually getting. A couple weeks later, I was in a third Pet Smart and found a bag of Mazuri they still had on the shelf. Clerk there confirmed they are just selling out of inventory. So, after some thought, I bought the bag and mixed it with the OxBow.
She is doing better, but still pushes a lot out onto the floor. She is eating her hay well, and drinking well..and is not losing weight, so she must be eating some..but do you have any ideas on what to do? Or should I just wait it out?

Is she pushing the Oxbow out of her dish or the Mazuri? If she's pushing the Mazuri out then I would only put the Oxbow in her food dish but if it's the other way around then I would wait it out a little more and put a little less Mazuri each time.

Latest posts

Back