having trouble becoming friends

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanoham

I recently purchased a chinchilla from a woman who claimed to not have enough time for him anymore. He is two years old and a confirmed male. I have owned him for about two months now and I am disappointed in the progress we have made in becoming friends.

I have been very patient in allowing him his own space and time to become acquainted with me. I regularly feed him treats from my palm (he climbs up with one or two paws to snatch it) and he will let me pet and scratch his head and body. Whenever I try to hold him (I put out my hands at the door of his cage to try to let him walk into them) he will jump on for a moment, but them immediately either scamper back into his cage or will run away. He has never let me hold him in my hands and will also occasionally hide from me in in his cage when I come by.

I am concerned that it might be partially because he isn't with the chinchilla who he used to live with. The previous owner also had a 6 mo. old female that lived in a nearby cage, separate but adjacent to his. I try to give him as much attention as I can. He has a wheel and toys in his cage and occasionally I will let him out to run around my room. I am home almost every evening and will sit by his cage and talk or read to him, give him treats, pet him and/or ill just hang out next to him to work/watch tv.

If anyone has any tips on how to more effective build a relationship that would be awesome. I am trying to stay patient but its hard to not be slightly annoyed.

Thanks so much :)

Chinchillas like your attention, you talking to them, giving them scritches and treats, but most chinchillas in general do not like to be picked up or held. When mine are out for playtime they will jump on me, but not because they want me to hold them - they want to use me to get somewhere higher.

Now that I think about it, they are a lot like cats. They think your sole purpose is to be their slave. And generally, you are. :D

Chins especially rescues who have been neglected or abused take a LONG time to trust again, its something you have to accept if you are going to take a rescue in, the longest it took me 6 years to tame and one I have now we are going on 4 years and he still does not like nor trust me, its something that you make a project and follow through until it happens, it WILL happen, you just don't know when.

Most chins don't like getting held so I'm so surprised that he isn't thrilled with the idea. Each chin has a different personality. If he wasn't handled much before you got him, then you have made huge progress. I have a female that after owning her for 6 yrs still sprays me when I try to pick her up. I can scratch her head and move her around the cage at HER choosing but not pick her up. Some chins just are that way. I've trained her to jump in a bowl for weighing and cleaning the cage.

None of my boys like to be held or picked up. I've had Rufus since he was a baby (he's 6 now) and he acts like I'm trying to eat him everytime I try to pick him up. He loves to get his head and chin scratched though. Zoidberg minds being held the least, he will tolerate it as long as I'm petting his head, or he can see the tv from where I'm standing. Dale has been here for less than a year and he was a rescue. He hates getting picked up and squirms and contorts until I put him down, unless he's on his back and I'm holding him like a baby. He'll let me do the baby hold for about 2 minutes, just long enough to get a belly rub in. Then he does his little spaz-out. All three of them are different and it took me a while to learn their limits. Chins live for a long time and have great memories. Give him more time and he may come around.

Back