Have a Look at Abnormal Poop?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalH

He's been tested numerous times for abnormal bacteria/parasites/giardia. thursday actually...we went one more time and paid 100$+ to be told what we already knew. negative and unremarkable on all counts...BUT this poo shows up periodically. i've only see it a couple times. it seems like it's reduced in frequency. wondering if it's the probiotic i pulled and then put him on again just yesterday...i also gave him some lifeline...

it doesn't seem to have odor, just light in color ans looks to be poorly digested hay. http://i60.tinypic.com/2dh8kxy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a chin who is either dehydrated and/or constipated. I have one who has this type of poop chronically after he suffered from a foreign body scarring his intestines. I would try increasing fiber and see if it helps. What food and what type of hay are you feeding?

For my guy, I give him about 10-15 ml of Critical Care every morning and it has helped him a lot.

Stackie--i give him oxbow deluxe pellets (1/8 cup a day) and free feed a mix of orchard grass and timothy hay. i top that off fresh each day. can i ask what the foreign body was? do you mean like an ulcer by scarring?

i honestly think it could be a wheat issue...there is oats and and wheat in lifeline and i think that triggered the bad digestion. he's been getting better after i stopped giving lifeline a couple weeks ago but this happened again...

in the market for a wheat and grain free pellet (alfalfa only maybe).

The foreign body was a piece of plastic, it was passed but caused scar tissue in the intestines. I would try giving him some Critical Care for a few days and see if it helps- not full quantities but maybe 10-20 mls, just to get that extra water and fiber in him, to see if it improves the poop.

Pellets only, no treats. Every once in a while you'll get a Chinny who's tummy is a little more fragile than normal. <3

thanks for the tip, rivermousey! he's not getting anything but pellets and hay right now. i think he is definitely suffering from stomach sensitivity due to over-exposure to gluten.

Back