Has This ever Happened to You?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyslilDimwit

Sweet Pea, My Gray Female Chinchilla, Sadly passed last night. I am BEYOND heartbroken. I had her out yesterday for play time and she was fine, Cuddling with me and trying to eat my toenails :). But When I checked on her this morning, she was dead. It seems she actually choked to death on her own poop. I never thought that she would do that to herself. Poor Poor Pea.

:( She was such a sweet girl and had come such a loved member of our family. :'(

Has This ever Happened to anyone else?

She was on Oxbow pellets, Timothy hay, Clean water and every now and then Some Plan Cereal (Cheerios) for threats.

I have had two sudden deaths, one was confirmed by a necropsy that it was a heart attack, the chin was 10 the other the advanced necropsy showed squat, the chin was 11 years old. It really is tragic when it happens with no warning.

I had a young chin, 5 months old, who choked on a piece of hay. And like ticklechin I had a older chin around 12 (a rescue) who had a heart attack.

I shouldn't write like I talk, like a 5 year old!

To the OP, chins can choke on things just like humans, malo chins have a greater risk of it than normal chins since they don't fully chew their food.

I am sorry for your loss.

Sometimes a chin can have a mechanical heart defect which does not show on necropsy. Death is sudden & can happen during any activity - for example, if a chin's heart suddenly stops during eating, food can be found in the mouth.

My main thing is just that there was SO MUCH feces in her mouth and throat. I know chins do eat some... But this was like jammed in her throat and still some more in her mouth/on her lips. It is like she was choking and still shoveling it in.

I'm so sorry for your loss, especially as it came so suddenly and with so many questions. May she rest peacefully.

Latest posts

Back