Has anyone else attended MCBA Nationals this year and now had chin deaths?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one will not have anything to do with Facebook, just to much garbage to waste my time on. As far as these problems I never knew they where happening until these threads appeared other than 2 cases last spring which I heard at the time the feed change solved. Being president of MCBA and more than willing to help in any way I can I asked for more info on here and so far have replies from three people. MCBA has also tried getting some university's to do some research even providing money for them but they just are not interested in less it is something big they can make big money off of. Again I am more than willing to help any way I can but info I have received so far does not point to any one thing. I have had people with problems before where they ended up taking in live animals to be posted in order to find answers. You can also call me in the evenings if you would like.

I am a pet owner and had my own personal h#ll when streptococcus anginosus was passed from a drooling mess of a malo chin with a active fistula to 3 healthy chins that were killed off with lung infections, in a months time, due to not practicing infection control. Advanced necropsies done at UC davis discovered it, the same place that found herpes simplex 1 as a cause of death in another chin. A am a OCD germaphobe freak about chins now, a little late and alot sorry. Just a side note to practice infection contriol on any chin with issues, diagnosed or not, even malo chins.

Randy - The FB thing is helpful for people who don't know about forums. Everybody knows about FB. I know for some it is a pain in the a**, but there is actually a CnH on FB as well as here. One poster the other day, after someone remarked that the forum was down, said "There is a forum???" It's just another way to reach people. Ryerson's, Shoots, Ritterspach all have FB pages. That is not to say there isn't a TON of garbage on there - there definitely is, but it gives folks another way to reach out to people for sales and info.

Little sales pitch there. :)

This might seem like a silly question but with ferrets adrenal disease was a big issue...so they developed an implant...I wonder how to find out what sparked the research to develop that??? I ask this because sooo many other species have vaccines...I think that chins should too...it all has to start somewhere...

Well that sucks. Tunes you're saying that the treatment doesn't work, that the giardia stays in their system. This means that it really doesn't matter how long I keep them it can come back? By that logic I might as well pelt them all now and be done with it. You gotta give me some light at the end of the tunnel here, Tunes, I'm near my breaking point!

I'm going to keep working closely with my vet. we'll do some more lab tests after they all appear healthy and go from there. It may take another 2 months, another couple rounds of medication. Maybe if I treat for the life of the cysts i can be rid of it. I think i read somewhere 3 months, but that was in puddles. I've been medicating them all for 3 weeks now and I'm hoping to be done soon.

I think pelting them all would be a bit drastic. Your vet should be able to tell you if what I said is correct. As I said, I have thankfully never had to deal with it. New medications and treatments may be able to cure what couldn't be cured before. I would just be sure that they had a good long time to be clear before you started selling them. I know I would be spazztastic about sterilizing their area and be darn careful about dragging anything out of the room with me (or into the room, obviously) that could cause them to flare before they are 100% "cured."

Sydchillas: Chinchillas all have giardia in very low counts. It is normal for them.

Randy: I agree with tunes in regards to FB/Forums. Yes lots of crap but good stuff too.

Last edited:
Personal attacks will not be allowed on this forum. Take it elsewhere.

You aren't always going to see smushy poops. Sometimes they get lost in the shavings.

One thing that I found that is helpful to monitor stools of chins in runs especially is using cut up 2x4's. Lowes has untreated ones that are marked KD for kiln dried. They also serve a dual purpose as a chew block. If a chin has mushy poo the "block" is clearly dirty so it helps to monitor.

I went to the Nationals and didn't have anything happen. I did not buy animals either.

I know it's a bit off topic: I agree with Rhonda. Those blocks of wood in runs or shelves in pair breeding help to identify soft droppings.

I also had a chin here that developed malo. While here, she did not get pregnant. I contacted the person I bought her from and they were happy to have the information. Of course we all know malo can come from an injury, something stuck in the teeth or from parents.

Syd I hope your chins recover soon. I too would be heartbroken. These animals can be so tricky to keep. Best wishes.

Back