Happy Chinniversary to Cleo, the chin who didn't read the book

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momenteller

I have a great pediatrician, who, when I came in exasperated over the behavior of my youngest human child, said, "Well, she obviously didn't read the book!" Meaning, you can talk about typical behavior all you want, but there is always one who has to do things their own way.

That's my Cleo. She has been with me two years today. Her odd behaviors I attributed to being in a new home are still there. She sleeps next to or behind her fleece house, rarely in it. She dusts in the spilled dust on the floor, not in her bath. She doesn't like to go in her wooden hidey house, but if she does, there'd better not be any shavings in it or she will spend her time kicking them out with her back feet. She doesn't care for most treats, refuses rosehips, rosebuds, cheerios, chin cookies, Lifeline or EFL. She will only chew on the skinniest of twigs, and even then usually picks them up with her hands and throws them on the ground after an initial bite. She hates things on her shelves, and will push them off with her front paws. I have tried giving her a toy box, as the other two girls have, but she peed on it. She has peed on her blue cloud rock, fun toys from all vendors, and I gave up on having a tube in there with fleece or without because she wouldn't stop peeing in it. Most irritating, her silver surfer wheel just gathers dust in her cage. Poor girl refuses to have fun.

Despite this, I have to think she is happier here. She was tiny when I got her, only 400 grams, was housed with a male and had litters. She has slowly gained over 200 grams since moving here, although she still has a bony wedgy little frame. She is finally at the point where I can scritch her on the nose. She runs to the bars --sometimes-- when she sees me giving out sticks or treats, even if she doesn't like what I'm offering. She is the only girl who doesn't run from me in the playpen when playtime is over, she pauses on her hind legs so I can scoop her up. She is sweet and cute in her own little old lady way-- we think she is around 5 going on 15. Although she can be a PITA, we are glad to spoil her and give her the life she deserves. She'll appreciate it one day, right?

I'd attach pics but-- you guessed it. She almost never sits still for the camera. Oh well. Happy Chinniversary, Miss Cleo!

What a lovely post, Kate!
Cleo sounds like quite the character. She's so lucky to have found you. Reading all the things you've tried to make her comfortable and happy made me smile...I have a little rescue girl too, and I can't think of anything I wouldn't do for her. Every day she gets to enjoy and be spoiled and loved is a gift for both of us.
Happy Chinniversary!
Lee

Back