Hannah drinks a lot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbee

Hi friends. I've read that a chinchilla doesn't drink very much but Hannah seems to drive very often. She goes through her 6oz. (I think) water bottle in one day. Is this okay? The bottle is not leaking or anything, she just drinks that much. Didn't know if this was normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well I guess it lasts her a day and a half or so.

:( no ideas?

Well especially if you have ac on or anything that could dry out the air and she is otherwise acting normal it sounds ok. That's about what my guys drink, 2-3 oz a day, sometimes more sometimes less. Also unless this was a sudden change (and doesn't have an explanation such as being warmer or drier in the room) or is accompanied by other off behavior I wouldn't worry too much about it.

She seems fine otherwise. Eating normal, etc. She does seem to be drinking more lately but summer has hit in Texas so the ac and fans are running. Thank you for your reply!

If its a new thing, drinking a lot, then there may be a concern of diabetes-diabetic chins get freaky about water, they attack the bottle. Rocco here drinks 4+oz a day, always has.

What does one do for a diabetic chin? And what are other symptoms?

I haven't noticed frequent urination etc. She eats only oxbow chinchilla food and Timothy hay. She does receive sticks (though she refuses them lately), rose hips, and goji berries as treats. She gets no raisins or other foods.

What does one do for a diabetic chin? And what are other symptoms?

Well my chin was recently diagnosed as most likely having Diabetes. I only ever noticed because he stopped using his litter pan which allowed me to see that his urine had become sticky. - While he tested negative for diabetes, another test showed high glucose in his urine. So it was likely he had it.

Edit: The food he was contained an ingredient that was a sugar. Since taking him off that and put on American Pet Diner, he seems to be fine.

Latest posts

Back