handling, play time, etc.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
I've had Maci for a little under a month. I picked her up May 20th.

I have been doing my best to take things slow so I don't scare her, etc. But I also want to make sure I don't screw things up and set her up so she can't/won't be handled.

I have been sitting outside her cage and talking to her every day. She will smell and nibble on my fingers and nails if I have my hand in her cage. She has let me give her a scritch or 2, but I think I have scared her trying to pet her, because she will run and start zooming around the cage sometimes. She recently started coming to the cage bars and will touch noses with me :hearts:

The other night she accidentally got out of the cage. I had the door open and like a dumby wasn't thinking about it as I reached over to get her a new stick out the drawer I turned around and she was out of the cage :embarrassed: I should have known better, but up until then she never was really out and about while I have been cleaning up her cage and getting new chews and stuff. Since then she definitely seems more interested in me and what is outside her cage.

I am assuming I shouldn't be letting her out until she will let readily let me hold onto her? Which I haven't done other than to put her in her cage when she came home and when she got out. Although I see posts where it says to let them crawl and come to you during playtime to get used to you...not exactly sure how that is supposed to happen if I am not handling her to get her out. I was worried that she could have hurt herself jumping out of the ferret nation (it was the bottom level) but she is fine.

Can someone give me a little guidance as to what I should do. Like I said I don't want to rush her, but I also don't want to not do things I should be doing and make her not handleable (realize that is not a word)if that makes sense.

On another note I am loving having Maci. She is so fun to watch and I am learning what things she likes/doesn't like as far as chews and toys.

I should also mention that she is in a room with the door shut so she has had no interaction with my other animals as far as seeing them, etc. So she only sees me when I go into the room to spend time sitting outside her cage and talking to her or am cleaning up her cage and restocking food, hay, etc.

Both of my babies are very tame and loveable , but when it comes time to put them up.......the race is on! Sometimes Charlie will get a wild hair and fly around the cage when I try to pick him up. I just corner him and scoop him up anyway, once I have him...he melts into a sweetie again. I personally dont think you will ruin things by picking her up after all this time! Im sure you will get many different opinions...good luck with your baby!:thumbsup:

I think the best thing you could do to interact with your chin is to have a play area that is chin safe and small enough that she can run around and explore, but also explore you! Whether that's a bathroom, a covered playpen, or a room you've sectioned off with some type of barrier. Somewhere where you can sit together and watch her.

One way that a lot of people get their chins back under their control to return them to their cages, is with their bath house. Once they go in, you can lightly hold your hand over the opening to transport back to the cage. Others use carriers, etc. Be forewarned though, once she knows that going into the bath house may result in being brought back to her cage, she will become less enthusiastic and more wary. lol. You can do the same to transport them to the play area.

She will probably enjoy getting out and getting to know you, but just be sure you have a safe area that she can't escape from, or get under things (beds, etc.) as it can be very difficult to get them out.

If you do use the bathroom, make sure there aren't any chemicals, toilet brushes, etc. Also be sure to close the toilet lid.

It's very fun to have a chinnie crawl on top of you. They are very curious. Just be cautious of escape routes. One minute you think it's so cute they are jumping on your shoulder, the next they launch themselves out of the room using you as a spring board.

She should be supervised at all times and in a stress-free area (no other pets, people peering in at her, etc.) Put some of her toys, fleece things or whatever you have, in her play area.

Good luck.

How do I go about getting her out of the cage. She is definitely interested in me and will come up to the cage if I am outside of it. Although sometimes she will run up and run into her house(not sure if that means she is scared)

I am afraid if I just open the doors and leave them open she will jump out and I am not sure that the jump from the ferret nation to the floor is to big.

It is a bit much of a jump. I have one chin however that will make it. Both to get out and back in the cage 0.0

If your letting her run in the area shes coming out to, (cage in play area) then i jsut sat their and with one knee at the cage levle and the other on the ground. Let them use my elgs as a ramp to get out. It can take a while to start with. But it also helps them get used to you.

I have a feisty ferret cage for chinchy, which is probably a foot or so off the ground, and I use a step stool I got at pier 1 so he can step down without any help. However, I don't really think that distance, or the distance from the ferret nation to the ground is that much. Chinchy jumped from his second level once, which is 3 feet off the ground, without any problems.

I suppose it isn't really that far, but I wasn't sure if it was ok to have her jump that far on purpose on a regular basis. Obviously she can make the jump since that is how she escaped the cage the other day :hilarious:

I it normal for her sometimes to seem interested in me and come up to the bars, etc and others she will be out and about and if I talk to her she will run and zoom in her house and then peek out at me? or does that mean she is scared?

**edit to add...It makes me laugh a little as I figure out her behavior....because as a cat and dog owner and turtle owner for many years I understand their behavior, reactions and cues no problem!***

How old is she? Sometimes chinchillas are brats, plain and simple. Sometimes they'll accept scritches and be really responsive, and the next moment, they'll avoid you or run away. I try not to take it personally when they do, most chinchillas can be coaxed back out with a wood stick or particularly choice piece of hay, lol.

I'm not sure how old she is. I'm still waiting on her papers from the breeder. She is somewhere around 6 or 7 months I think.

As a note, you could also make a foot stool out of card board boxes to make it easier for her to step down.

You'd be suprised what scares them. As prey animals, things that don't seem frightening to us, could seem deadly to them. When talking, keep the calm cooing tone. All my chins have no problem jumping in and out of their ferret nation cage (except lucky but he is only a couple months old and doesn't get play time). It sounds like your doing an excellant job though being patient with your girl. Just remain calm and no quick movements during play time. I tend to sit against the FN so they can use me to jump in and out of. OH but do watch them. I have two that got behind the FN and then climbed to the top...Nearly giving me a heart attack cause I have a FN 142 so thats like 5-6 feet. Thankfully they made it to the top and I was able to grab them. Just let my mistake be a lesson to watch VERY closely. lol they are way smart.

If you are worried about her jumping out of her cage and hurting herself, you could make/put a little box in front of her cage for her to step down on as Chin_Parent said.

If it is still too high a jump (which I doubt), you could make little stairs out of small boxes, etc. for her to use.

Thanks.

I actually let her out the other day and used a box as a step for her. It was her first play time :blueblob:

I learned that I didn't have some areas as blocked off as I thought and she can fit in places I thought were too small :biglaugh: So I think I will be getting a play area just to be safe for now.

She did come over and stand on my hand and check me out for a few seconds several times.

I am having the same problem with my first chinchilla. I got her just a week and a half ago and have been working with her everyday. Some days shell be good and won't run away other days I have to work hard to catch her lol but when I do end up catching her she loves beng held and pet. :)

Latest posts

Back