Handling or picking up chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nezhka

Hi all,
Here's the situation: It's getting to be winter, and I want to put Bag Balm on my chinnies' feet (so they don't crack like one did last year). But, I'm having a hard time getting each one out of the cage...

TJ usually comes up to the door and I scoop him up no problem. Fran and Dumplin, though, freak out and run away from my hands. I have to chase them around the cage and grab them. They usually struggle and flail around until I get them into the holding position, then calm down a bit. They struggle again when I put the BB on, and I make sure they are calm for a while before I put them back in.

I don't know if there's something I should be doing differently, because on one hand, I don't want to scare them and have them not trust me, but on the other hand, I need to be able to hold them without struggling if they ever need meds or feeding.

What should I do??

I've only had one chin who was that opposed to being held, and it simply faded with time because I've made a point of holding her for a while every day. She still resists being picked up some times, but not nearly to the extent that she used to.

If you don't currently treat your chins much or depend on treats for something else (like getting them to return to their cages), try picking them up, holding them for a bit, and then giving a small treat once per day, or at least every few days. That association might make them want you to pick them up after a while. One of my chins, who was held daily since birth, just jumps into my arms most of the time.

Don't chase them around their cage. I have one chin who I chased around the cage for the longest time and he never warmed up to being held. I started a new method recommended where I would get the chinnie into a small carrier, and from that carrier, sort of "work" him into being held. That way he has nowhere to run and nowhere for you to "chase" him around. You could also try putting the chinnie in a shower stall and slowly attempt to grab the chinnie, and sometimes he will jump forward up onto your arms in attempts to evade your hands, then you slowly lift your arms up and the chinnie usually won't jump off. Much more natural and less intimidating way of picking them up.

One thing that may work is when you try to pick up your chinnie try covering his eyes. This always seems to work for my girl who hates being picked up. And this trick is also helpful when holding them and they begin squirming, as soon as you cover the eyes they calm down.

Back