Hair Ring

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarised

So I've been researching on here for a bit, and as I have a little boy, I'm seeing more and more about hair ring. I've only had him a week, and we are moving to Liverpool, so i'm yet to do the 'first trip to the vets' for the usual check ups and of course, makin sure he is a boy!

Now, hair ring seems to be something common, and judging from what i've researched so far, there could be some hints towards Starrkey being due for a check....only thing is though is he HATES being handled. Loves a good cuddle, strokes and belly rubs, but pick him up he moans, even when steadied in my arms and cuddled and giving treats, he's quick to leave. I know its only a week, but he's really confident other than that, obviously a personal preference, but how can i make this first attempt of a check as comfortable as possible with the fact he's a squirmer...and that I've never done it before!?

what did you all do your first go? Let a vet show you?

If you see him cleaning down there often, its time to check. I have pet chins and I check once a month-most of the time at least one or two have one. Some chins are more prone to getting them, some never do but its good to at least try to check yourself rather than having a vet do it. Here is a video of me doing a hair ring check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfmBoighpA

ahh its your video i watched!

He has been cleaning himself a bit, I wasn't sure if it was general grooming or what but the more i read the more i think i should check...looks like we're gonna have to try

Since you've only had him a week I don't know that I would be attempting a hair ring check for awhile unless you find it absolutely necessary. Most chins don't find the hair ring check pleasureable--go figure! I had the breeder I picked my first boys up from show me how to do it. But I waited a couple month before attempting it on my own as I wanted to bond a bit more with them before doing so.

If you see him cleaning down there often, its time to check. I have pet chins and I check once a month-most of the time at least one or two have one. Some chins are more prone to getting them, some never do but its good to at least try to check yourself rather than having a vet do it. Here is a video of me doing a hair ring check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfmBoighpA

Dawn, I swear your boys will let you do ANYTHING to them. Do you perform some kind of chinnie voodoo on them? :neener:

No voodoo or drugs, I just hang with them all the time and they get handled all the time and get mommy loved!

yeah, think its best i just keep an eye on him for now, and mention it to the vet then for this first checkup! and lol the chin-whisperer! i hang with starrkey a lot and he's currently grinding his teeth at me as he wants to chew my hand and not his apple twigs...

Back