Hair Ring Check... how often and how soon?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morganpanda

So I did have a question about the hair rings.

I was wondering if there was a specific age that I'd start doing the hair ring checks. Or how I'd know if I need to, erm... check. Learned how to check- just not know entirely when or how often.

Certain age? Just a certain sign? Is this a weekly thing?

I have two males and thank God I've been lucky with that. They have been checked one time and now they a year old. If you notice them grooming themselves or paying a lot of attention to that region then that would be a good indicator they prolly have one. I know there are some videos on you tube on how to check yourself but my boys have only bern checked by the vet. I know that breeding chins are more likely to get them than chins that don't mate.

If they are cleaning excessively or their penis is hanging out of the sheath after they clean it, then I do a check. One of my boys will also clean himself a whole bunch and if he can't get it himself he'll squat down and drag his penis across the wood shelf. That's my major sign with him obviously. I didn't find a hair ring for about 5 years, then Rufus and Dale started sharing a cage and now they use each other as cuddle buddies and get them about once a week each. Rufus usually takes care of his own, and Dale is the shelf rubber and needs help sometimes.

I don't have a regular schedule for checking my guys. I usually know if they have one when they start grooming a lot. I can usually spot the hair ring while they are grooming too. I think I've only had to step in to help maybe 4 times with several boys over several years. Just be observant and they will let you know if they are having a problem.

I check once a month. I start checking when they start humping things. This varies from chinchilla to chinchilla.

I second this. I check once every month, but my larger male chinchilla seems more prone to having the hair rings than my smaller one. And usually the larger male just has a few pieces of fur I need to pull off, not something that is wrapped around his penis and is cutting into it.

I also only check when I see obsessive cleaning. I have only had a few bad ones over the years and only with certain males. Don't have any right now that require assistance. Come to think of it, I haven't had to help with a hair ring in close to four years.

Back