Hair Loss?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnrchins

I was looking at Graison, and noticed she is losing hair right around her nose. It is a little red. I have never noticed it before tonight.

What could it be? I don't have a good day to take her this week because of my work. Is there something I can give her or put on her to make it any better?

I'm really worried about my girl....

Attachments

• graison.jpg
    graison.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Usually hair loss around the nose is caused by fungus. Fungus is also usually accompanied by red and/or dry, scaley skin. It's hard to tell what her skin looks like in the picture, but from your description and the affected area, I would venture to say she has gotten a fungal infection.

It can be treated by tinactin in the dust bath, blu-koting the affected area, and dilligently cleaning and sanitizing her cage. Fungus is HIGHLY contagious to other animals as well as humans. Be sure to quarantine her away from all of your other animals and wash your hands really well after handling her. It would also be a good idea to change clothes between her and other animals. Fungal spores can attach to anything and be carried. If this treatment does not work, she will need to go to the vet.

ETA: Sticky on fungal infections. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37

Last edited:
Good luck! My Jemma had fungus a few months ago and it took a good 6 weeks or so to see improvement. I used Tinactin in the dust bath and Blu Kote like Stackie said. Handwashing and changing clothes and cleaning the cage often is very important.

Her skin is just a little red. It doesn't look like it's on fire red. Just a little red. I am freaking out now. I just re-arranged my whole house so no-one is within 10 feet of each other. (a feat in my apartment). I am at work now...So I can't do anything until 10am....

It makes me itchy thinking about it. :/ I hope she isn't in any pain.

I don't have any feed stores near me. The joy of living in a tiny town. Is there anyone on here that sells it? I think there is a Buckles about an hour away, if nothing else...

I'm surprised you don't have a feed store near you, living in Indiana. Do you have a Tractor Supply Co anywhere?

You really need to get her completely away from the others- in another room. Like I said, fungus is highly contagious. It is easily spread, and you'd have a much better time treating one for it than 11.

I found Tinactin, so I'm using it. We have a Big R here, but it won't open until Sunday. They have horse stuff, so I'm really hoping they carry Blu-kote.

We have her on the total opposite side of the house.

Should I tell my breeder about this?

Back