Hair and feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit2011

Well i have noticed that my chins pull each others hair alot and i really dont know why it looks as if they are cleaning each other sometimes i give them plenty of pellets and hay and was wondering if im doing something wrong. Also one of my chins have started losing their hair on their feet hime and another of my chins got in a fight and he bit him and it was a little sore but he has started losing hair on both feet not bad but its enough to concern me is their anything i can do thanks

oh no I hope they get along soon!
I had two chins that didn't get along. I put vanilla on their noses, trimmed their whiskers. and then smooshed them. It really helped. I can't guarantee that your chins will get along though.
Were they brought up together? or recently introduced.

Sorry to hear, have you tried introducing them slowly at first? Chins (especially males) tend to be extremely territorial so fighting is more likely. I've never heard of putting vanilla on their noses! that's a good tip, but thankfully my chins don't fight. And i'm curious to know what smooshing is...:)

Sorry to hear, have you tried introducing them slowly at first? Chins (especially males) tend to be extremely territorial so fighting is more likely. I've never heard of putting vanilla on their noses! that's a good tip, but thankfully my chins don't fight. And i'm curious to know what smooshing is...:)

The vanilla masks the scent of the other chinchilla. Smooshing is when you put two chins in a tight space (like small cardboard box) for some time and force them to get along. Of course, some people won't agree with all of these methods.

The methods don't always work, but I managed to introduce a new male chin to a bonded pair in one day doing it this way. I had one chin that was very aggressive to the new chin, but he calmed down a lot after getting his whiskers trimmed and smooshed with the new chin.

My profile pic is the proof. The bonded two (outer two) were raised for 6 months together and are twice as big as the new chin (in the middle). But I must stress that these methods often don't work. That's why I had a separate cage just in case. Good luck to you OP.

Smooshing works extremely well when you are trying to bond a pair together. Also, sometimes works with introducing a third into a bonded pair. However, sometimes it may not work and the best thing to do is to seperate them and let them get used to each other (especially if they are over agressive/territorial). This is how I have almost completed introducing a fourth one into a triple group.

The vanilla masks the scent of the other chinchilla. Smooshing is when you put two chins in a tight space (like small cardboard box) for some time and force them to get along. Of course, some people won't agree with all of these methods.

The methods don't always work, but I managed to introduce a new male chin to a bonded pair in one day doing it this way. I had one chin that was very aggressive to the new chin, but he calmed down a lot after getting his whiskers trimmed and smooshed with the new chin.

My profile pic is the proof. The bonded two (outer two) were raised for 6 months together and are twice as big as the new chin (in the middle). But I must stress that these methods often don't work. That's why I had a separate cage just in case. Good luck to you OP.

That's awesome that you were able to get your chins to all get along!
When I introduced my new young chin (Rolo) to our older one (shakespeare), we kept them in separate cages at first but had the cages side by side. This way they could smell each other and get used to the scent. Maybe try that as well?

ive never heard of trimming whiskers.......what exactly is that? im working on slowly introducing two males now but the one is very territorial and aggressive......

You trim their whiskers down to a few inches. I did this when i was introducing my 2 boys. The chin that has the longest whiskers is supposed to be higher in dominance then the other in the chin world. By cutting them you are putting on a level field

Latest posts

Back