Guys, Help~!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybug29

A few months ago, if you remember right, I took Khaki to the vet. She had been losing quills and became a bit bald on her backside. At the vet, he checked for mites and didn't see anything. I had also brought Mace, just in case. He didn't see any mites on a bunch of scrapings. He sent me home with a little ivermectin to put in her water and spray on her (before I knew about ivermectin and revolution). I did and she stopped losing quills and grew a few back on her bum. (She's still a little thin when she's rolled up, but that is the only time you can tell). Now Mace is going through the same thing. Khaki was a little stopped up for a few days, then she cleared up, now Mace is not pooing like normal. She then started losing quills (like 15 every time I held her, and one morning I woke up and on her liner was a whole ton, I took a picture https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....545640964479.2056592.50800241&type=3&theater and https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....545640964479.2056592.50800241&type=3&theater . I'm holding Mace now, and it's been all of 10 minutes and he's lost 8 quills. I wasn't thrilled with my vet when I was there, but I live in a small town and he's the only one. I have one breeder in town (Riddle's Hedgehogs). What do I do? Has anyone heard of this before? Am I crazy?

This is the other page I think.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32308

Yes, it is not unheard of to have a hedgie lose so many quills in such a short amount of time.

My Satin had quill loss issues and I used to count each and every quill I found in the morning and in the evening over the course of several months. I found myself rather alarmed when the numbers were up over 30 in a single counting... but it happened. She got treatment, lived through it, stopped losing quills, and was okay (though not all her quills grew back, but she still have good covering -- a general thinning rather than the bald spots she had before treatment).

I'm going to guess that whatever had been going on with Khaki is now going on with Mace, so I'd bring them in, make sure they get the same work-up and receive the same treatment at the same time. And, while being treated, I'd be super-duper cleaning their living quarters every day.

About your vet - you have two options: (1) go in to see this vet armed with a lot of information and become a very active participant in your hedgehogs' care or (2) find another vet... even if it means big-time travel.

I'd be thinking about a few possibilities:
- Skip the scrapings for mites... I've had folks (including vets) tell me that it's pretty easy to get a false negative (ie, there ARE mites, but the test comes back negative -- as if there aren't any). Therefore, treat with Revolution anyway. Just go in and get the kitten version and treat both hedgies with it at home. If your vet doesn't carry it, s/he can special order it for you. Make sure to wrap it up super tight between the 1st and subsequent doses - it will evaporate quickly if not tightly sealed.
- Have the vet check for a fungal condition (might not be mites, but could be fungal)
- Look at their noses for any wetness/dripping that could indicate a respiratory infection; have the vet listen to their little lungs for anything out of the ordinary. If you or vet see drippy noses, you can get them swabbed and send it out for analysis so you know how to treat it.
- You can ask the vet to run labs on their urine to look for problems there (eg, UTI)
- Ensure that Mace and Khaki are on the best diets they can be (good mix of high quality kibbles) and consider adding a supplement like Sunshine Factor

I'm sure others will add additional thoughts. Sending Hedgie hugs :)

I've had terrible quilling issues with Ella. She came to us with large bald patches and horrible skin (comes off in large chucks). We've treated her for mites (several times) with no improvement, had her tested every which way including full blood work up and skin biopsies. She continues to loose quills and maintains a regular bald patch. It has since (over the last six months) gotten a little better once I removed all grain from her diet (just like someone with hyperthyroidism). The skin and quill loss has since reduced but it still occurs at a higher rate than any of the others. Sometimes these things just aren't related to mites, but as suggested inform your vet of how you'd like to treat this, or get a new vet. We have to drive to another city (but luckily that isn't too far).

Thank you Smhufflepuff. They are both losing quite a few quills now. I'm trying to see if it is the detergent I use on their liners that is drying them out. Mace's poopies are back to normal and he doesn't have a bald spot yet. I plan on calling my vet on my way to work tomorrow and talking to him. He said when I was there before since I drive so far that he'd help me over the phone if possible (I think he was just uncomfortable with hedgies). Will vets just "give me a prescription" for revolution? I can go onto petmeds.com and get it but need a prescription.

They are both on blue buffalo. I have tried to mix the food, but Khaki will only pick out the BB kibbles. I give them every other day a couple mealies and a piece of dried mango in teeny tiny pieces. I sometimes give them a bit of unseasoned applesauce, some wet cat food (the type with the shredded meat) or a bit of chicken if I make it for dinner. I used to give them 1 yogurt drop every few days, but have run out and didn't plan on replacing them. Is this not a good enough diet? I've tried to mix, but neither of them would have it. They know what they like and will only eat the BB. It's a lot better than the exotic food they were on before.

Back