Guss doesn't groom himself

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
hey all,

i've had Guss now for almost 3 months, and i have never once seen him groom himself. heck, i've not even seen him clean his whiskers with his paws ever!

he gets the odd small matt in the hip area now and then, which i'm able to gently tug out without issue. he's a black velvet with super fine fur that is a bit longer than Rhino's (standard grey). both my boys get a dust bath every few days.

so do you think i should undertake to groom Guss now and then? I know that chin combs are the best thing for grooming, but the cost of just one comb is a little steep in my mind for grooming a pet chin. what are the alternatives? i was thinking a soft baby brush might work?

I would go with a fine tooth flea comb over a baby brush as I do not see that a baby brush would penetrate the fur, it would only smooth what is at the surface. I think a flea comb more closely resembles a show comb. JMO though.

I've only ever used soft baby tooth brushes on my chin who I was hand feeding last year, and pretty much only on his neck & head area. I've never groomed my other boys at all except for Jet, which his breeder did for me when we entered him in a show. IMO, unless he gets extremely scruffy & matted up I don't think that you have to groom him.

Latest posts

Back