Grunting Noise?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMama

Chinchilla Mama
My chinchilla is now 6 months old and has gotten much more vocal. Today she made a new noise and I am unsure of it's meaning. I keep all of her treats in a cardboard box, today she found it and was climbing into it. When I went to pull her out she made almost like a grunting noise and kept trying to go back to the box. I then pulled her out again and she made it even louder! Once I moved the box she went right on about playing and jumping all over me as if nothing had happened.

Is this a bad noise? Does it mean she is in pain, or is she simply whining because she wants me to leave her alone to eat all of the treats (like that'll happen)?

Last edited:
Yep, she was mad. If I push my male away from something he wants he barks or grunts several times at me. They definitely have a mind of their own.

Thanks for your input!

I assumed it was because she was annoyed with me, but she had never made that sound before when I have done this to her in the past. I guess she is just becoming more vocal these days!

Mine has given me this vocal response at times. sometimes if she is not in the mood for comapny or to be touched, its very rare but yep that seems like the annoyance sound. Over 12 years I still think I have only heard her make a sound a couple dozen times.

Latest posts

Back