Group Bonding (Cage Within a Cage)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

I currently have a bonded group of three females, all are around two years old. I will be adding an older kit (she'll have just turned five months old when I get her) in August. Two of my chins have submissive personalities, but the third can be a bit "queen bee" in her attitude. She has sprayed the other two once or twice but they have never reacted other than just moving away from her. Never any aggression, and they sleep together all of the time. I am planning to individually introduce each of the submissive chins to the new chin in a neutral space and watch them. If they are ok, I want to do the cage within a cage method. My question is, should I put the "queen bee" chin in the smaller cage? Or the new chin? I figure from what I read that the chin that I already have should go in the smaller cage. I realize it might not work regardless, which is why I have extra cages. Currently my new girl is living in a "kit colony" and she is doing well. So at least she will have had positive social interaction before coming to me. I'd especially like to hear from those that have experience with 4 or more chins living together. Thanks!

I would be very, VERY leery of adding a fourth chin to the trio, even if she is a little one. Females can be very territorial and it takes only one small thing to cause them to lose the bond that they have. You already have an aggressive female in there who has sprayed. Adding another chin to that mix could cause all kinds of nastiness.

I have many, many colonies - male/male, female/female, and male/females. It can be very nerve wracking and it doesn't always work out well. I do have cages with 4 or 5 chins living together, but they generally have grown up together, not been added after they were adults.

If you choose to try, then I would do cage within a cage, trim all their whiskers back, and try using vanilla around their noses and butts. I would take it very slow and be very cautious, and I would give it serious thought before you try.

Yeah I may just keep her separate. It wasn't hard to bond the trio but a fourth might cause problems. I will decide in the coming months...Scully has only sprayed over resource disagreements (she wanted to hoard Ryerson supplement) and hasn't done it in awhile but still, I know her personality and she is pretty much a brat that could be a bully. Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back