Grooming Tips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morselchip87

I was wondering if anyone had some grooming tips. I've had Gizmo for almost a month now and he's getting more use to me. Ever since he's arrived, he's had a bunch of fur sticking out around his tail area that looks loose. However, he won't let me touch him there. I've been able to hold him a couple of times for a very short period of time.

I purchased a soft cat slicker yesterday and tried to use that, but it didn't seem to get any loose fur out - I think the spacing is too large between the bristles. Any suggestions on combs to use? And more importantly, how to brush Gizmo without him running away from me? I think it would make him much more comfortable as he's been shedding a lot lately.

Thanks!
Michelle

They have special combs for chinchillas, but chins don't usually need to be groomed except for shows. A dust bath is usually good enough.

Also I don't believe chins do shed, their fur can slip off when they are stressed. If I am wrong someone on here feel free to correct me. :) I would give Gizmo more time if he is still running away from you.

I'm not sure about the fur by his tail, someone else would need to answer that sorry.

I have seen on a couple of threads on here where the chin specific combs are getting harder and harder to find. They also run around 30 bucks. A dog or cat flea comb will help. I have used that on mine for the time being. (Sometimes I sneak up on my guys and gently "steal" those little wisps of fur from around their bum if they are sitting (napping) the right way...Mine got over it the couple of times they busted me but most of the time they don't even know I did it though...

A lot of chins will push fur, meaning new fur will grow in under current fur and push out the dead fur. This shows up by making those loose spots of fur, usually common across their rear end. Othertimes those little spots are actually matts of dead fur. Like Pook said I will usually just pull them out and unless its a bad matt, the chin won't even notice. Much easier then constantly trying to groom the chins and much liss stressful for the chin!

Cheryl

I had a human fine tooth comb I sometimes use to get a little bit of the fur my chin has pushed off. She actually loved the comb and used it to scratch herself if you didn't move it fast enough! lol. The bristles are not sharp or anything so she wouldn't hurt herself. She would even rub her chin on it.

Sometimes she has a few strands that i just get while I am petting her. It is like she knows what is going on. I will get out the hair that is not attached to her, and then she tries to return the favor. If she is on my shoulder she will grab the hair in my head and give it a gentle tug to see if it is loose, if not she leaves it alone. If she is in her cage she will gently tug the fine hair on my arm. It is too cute, like she is saying "you get rid of my hair, I'll get rid of yours". My smart girl!

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

It definitely sounds like it is just loose fur that he is pushing out. If I grasp it (gently) when he is near me, it'll come right out with no tension or anything. That makes me think it isn't attached. He hasn't furslipped as far as I know since I've had him, and since these are sticking out way past the rest of his natural coat, I don't think I'm hurting him.

I'll look into getting a flea comb if I think it's necessary.

Thanks again everyone!
~Michelle

Back