Grooming /Scritches / PMS questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheri7

I always read about chins grooming eachother and their owners, but I hardly ever see my 2 chin girls grooming themselves much less eachother or me....unless biting my fingers when I give them a little rub counts ...LOL

They are very cuddly with eachother and their fur is nice and clean and soft - so they must do it - but I don't really see it. Sometimes they will take their little paws and rub all over their faces...is that what is mean't by grooming?

Also my chins hate scritches. They will tolerate once in a while for a few seconds but then they push (more like shove) my hand away and seem very irritated with me. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

Do chin girls PMS? cuz mine are so moody sometimes or maybe they are just weird :)

....but I still love em

Yes, females will PMS, though technically it's PreEustressSyndrome (when they go into breeding mode v. coming out of it like we do). And if those "bites" on your fingers are more like a scrape or a nip, that is grooming. Part of their grooming also includes rubbing their faces and noses with their little paws, which is when I melt into a big ol' puddle from the cute. :)

They seem more like "get your dirty paws off me and out of my cage and stay away" type nibbles

I have five males so I know nothing about the female pms thing. Here's a rundown of how they are all very different.

Pip & Zeke: enjoy scritches and kisses and all kinds of human contact such as petting and playing with feet etc. especially Zeke and they groom each other too.

Max: does not like scritches and does the major Kung Fu action with his front paws pushing me away but is easy to hold while Oscar tolerates scritches is harder to hold but will come and sit on my legs or even my head. I never see them grooming each other.

Carlos: it's a bit early to tell but so far he loves being petted, doesn't mind scritches, is easy to hold and seems to really enjoy a lot of human contact. He is alone so there's no grooming going on with another chin.

They're all so different.

Latest posts

Back