Grooming & Dominance?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulilac

Dire Chinchilla Keeper
I have two Chins, Barnaby, 5 years, and Hugo, 7 months. They live in separate cages.

Sometimes when they are out for mutual play time, they will sit close together and Barnaby will groom Hugo. It is very cute. He noms Hugo's nose, eyes, ears and general face area. Sometimes Hugo kakks, but perhaps that is just chinchilla for 'a little to the left, please.'

When Barnaby stops, Hugo MIGHT groom him but maybe just one quick nom on his neck and then Hugo tries to mount Barnaby. Barnaby will have none of this and runs away with Hugo in hot pursuit.

No one gets hurt, but I feel sorry for Barnaby. After his diligent grooming of Hugo, HE should get his own time at the chinchillla spa. Instead, he has to tolerate Hugo's "I'm the boss" rudeness. I try to scritch Barnaby myself as a way to pamper him, but clearly clumsy human fingers are no match for an authentic chinchilla tooth massage.

So... does this mean that Hugo is the dominant chinchilla since Barnaby does most of the grooming? Or perhaps B grooms H more becuase H is so much younger? Or perhaps Hugo is just a spoiled little brat? : P

Lu :)

Mounting each other is a way of asserting dominance. It sounds like Hugo is trying to tell Barnaby that in spite of age and size, Hugo is the boss. As long as it doesn't escalate into a fight, they will be ok. Just a quick question, are you sure they are both males?

Both Boys

They are most definitely boys. I double checked Hugo after I got him and there is a long space between his two, um, things. Barnaby too.

Hugo is still shorter than B, but he is solid muscle and runs faster. Sometimes he's just a white blurr shoooshing past. Barnaby likes to run too, but he is less supersonic. :) Hugo loves to wall surf. B prefers to hop up and down between chair rails.

There has been some fur pulling when one chin 'catches' the other, but no blood and no long lasting fighting type contact. Its just let me chase you and then you chase me. I think H is going to end up being Alpha Chin though. When he grows up, he will probably be huger than his older gray brother.

Lu : )

I would say dominance too, Lola is always jumping on Dottys back when Dottys tries to cuddle in to Lola. When i first put them together i thought i god i hope Lola isnt a Luke lol.

That does sound like dominance. They will probably settle out over time. Just keep an eye on things in case they decide to fight since it can go from chasing and a little fur pulling to a full blown fight in just seconds.

Well, now Barnaby won't even leave his cage when Hugo is out for play time.
The few times I've 'encouraged' him to leave his cage, Hugo is right on him and chases him righ back inside. B leaps up to his highest perch and looks at me like, "I told you so!"

Sometimes, Hugo goes up into Barnaby's cage. Occasionally, Hugo will sit on a lower shelf as Barnaby grooms him, but usually B clicks his teeeth to show that H is NOT welcome. At this point, I escourt Hugo out of the cage since his furry gray brother is clearly NOT pleased.

So, now we are doing separate play time. I will be moving them to a different room and hope that somehow this can be established as neutral territory and they will be okay out playing together again.

Lu

Latest posts

Back