Grapevine Processing Tips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

So my Dads grapevine plants are FINALLY big enough that the chins get wood off them come pruning time. YAY!

I've processed other woods (Apple, Pear, Mulberry, Blackberry, etc) but never Grapevine.
Dad pruned his grapevines back this afternoon and I've got the wood all ready to prepare but as I've never processed it before I wanted to ask how others scrub the grapevine wood when processing.

The bark on the grapevine seems much more fragile than apple or pear, so I'm worried it will all come off during scrubbing.

Any tips on processing Grapevine would be greatly appreciated.

I scrub it like the rest of my woods. Most of it is fine, but sometimes I get some that is a flakier bark, if that makes sense. I can pick that out when I cutting it up and leave a knot or a bump where I cut off another branch. Then when scrubbing try to scrub away from the bump- it anchors the bark. Sometimes theres not a whole lot you can do to keep some of it on though.
A few other tips on grapevine- after cutting it needs to be processed pretty soon- other branches I've been able to leave a bit before processing occasionally, but grapevine seems to start decaying/molding faster if just left. I think it's because it has a higher amount of water in it or is a vine (although blackberry doesnt go as fast). The leaves will also start to become... fragrant the longer they sit.
Also, grapevine gets more rigid the more you leave it sit. I haven't tried to do a lot of shaping like wreaths or anything but you'd want to at least curl up a length so it fits in what pot you're boiling it in.
Grapevine's more of a pain to scrub, and also takes a lot longer to air dry before baking. I typically put a good fan on it, but thick pieces still seem to take forever. (the littler green growth seems to dry and bake fast though)
The best tip I can give you is to do the extra effort to do the climbing tendrils. They may be a pain to unravel off a stick or scrub (and keep out of the drain) but the tendrils are Yuki's favorite. Not just favorite wood, but favorite treat (barring his tiny weekly peice of dried unsulfered/unsugared papya)
If you've got any other questions, I'm happy to help.

I already cut it all the size I wanted it, so it will all fit in the pot just fine. Leaves have already been removed.
I actually also removed the tendrils as well. :/ Oops. I won't tell the chins and it will be an extra surprise next year. haha

Why the air drying? I've always read scrub, boil, and bake.

Boo, would it bother you if you would take some pics? I would pike to make something similar with grapewine... thx :)

I use a toothbrush for scrubbing grapevine and try to hold the bark in place as I scrub. Of course, some will also come off during boiling so it doesn't always help to be extra careful with the scrubbing part.

Why the air drying? I've always read scrub, boil, and bake.

I always let wood air dry a bit in between boil/scrubbing and then baking. I let it air dry until the wood looks drier, at least the bark looks dry even though there's moisture in the wood still- less moisture/humidity in the oven. It lets it bake and fully dry faster than when I bake wood that's still all wet. I think it's to do with the amount of moisture air holds. Air can hold more water when warm, which is why baking it draws it out, but if there's less moisture to put in the air in the oven there's less to draw out. I hope that makes sense- Im out of it today, theres a nasty cold going around up here.

Latest posts

Back