GPS

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

allchins

My mom keeps telling me I should get a GPS so I've been looking into it rather than printing directions off the internet (especially if I'm driving alone, it's kinda hard to read & drive at the same time LOL).
I was wondering how well they work. Do you prefer one brand over another? I was comparing Garmin & TomTom; so far I think the Garmin seems to be the better of the two. I just don't want one that is only going to take me on backroads but not looking to pay $400 either!

We've got a Garmin Nuvi and love it. Ours is pretty good with directions and re-directing if we need it to. We paid extra for the "text-to-speech" function, meaning it says "turn right on Pecan St." instead of just "turn right." Just check out which functions you really want/need. I don't know how I got around without it!!

Garmin is what we have. My aunt has a tom tom & chris & I found it a little more complex to use. Which wansnt exactly too hard to get around, but we are partial to the garmin. =] The tom tom just has a lot of extras to play with, & im not too worried about which car or character i am on the nav screen!

I bought my hubby a refurbished Magellan a couple of years ago. (The new were $600, refurbished about $200). He loves it! Uses it all the time. He's a real estate inspector, and has inspections all over the city. It works great!

There was a thread about this on CnQ and from that I decided to buy a Garmin. I got the Garmin nuvi 205 at the day after Thanksgiving retail sales for $99. I love love love it.

My parents have a Garmin, I have a tomtom. I actually think the Garmin is less user friendly. Some options that I really like on mine are being able to tell the tomtom to go to the center of a city (like if you know you're meeting someone in downtown [insert city]) whereas my parents don't have that. I really like my tomtom. I got the TomTom One. I think theirs is the Garmin nuvi 450?

My work just set me up with the TomTom ONE and I hate that thing with a passion!!! Not only is it very very small, it doesn't tell you the streets to turn on, it just tells you "in 2 miles turn right". I want to know the streets and freeways, not that I have to turn right. And it talks non-stop! I looked at the manual and played with that darn thing all week, and it doesn't appear to have a setting where you can tell it how often to remind you to "turn", "exit" etc. I love the one on my Acura TSX, but I wouldn't know which one is similar to it. My mom has the Garmin and loves hers. My advice is to not go with the cheapest one, and play with them. Or go to a place like CostCo and buy it, use it for a little while and then if you don't like that one, return it and get another style or brand. Its really hard to test these things in stores since you can't go on a test drive with them. haha

I had a Garmin and I love, love, loved it. You depend on them after a while.

I'm embarrassed to say I broke it and it belonged to my boss and I can't get up the nerve to tell her. :err:

So, do they loose the satellite signal easily? Like, if you drive into a storm does it go out on you?

I don't think I've ever had a problem acquiring satellites because of weather! They're pretty good at assuming where you are in tunnels as well.

I did huge amounts of research on GPS's before buying. Anything that expensive and I wanted the best!

My mom and I both have Garmin Nuvi 265WT's. We love them! I don't go anywhere without mine and it more than paid for itself when I got ditched in the middle of nowhere. The 265WT is a widescreen and also has a traffic reciever that tells you how much of a delay your facing in major cities. It also has bluetooth so you can connect your cell phone to it and talk hands-free. And it has the "text-to-speech" thing. It's one of the ones that are more hard to find but pretty reasonably priced - my mom got hers off of amazon - no problems.

ETA: The BEST part about GPS's (or atleast mine): It tells you which side of the road your destination is on!!! Invaluable!!!

I had a Magellan that I purchased on sale and used it here and there. It worked fine, got me to wherever I needed. I just didn't really like it for some reason, so I eventually passed it on and got a Garmin, and like it a lot better than the Magellan. It is much more user friendly than the Magellan. I've never had a problem with either one of them going out in a storm, either.

have a magellan and use it from time to time.
love it. it gets me where i need to be and corrects when i miss my turn.
don't care that the screen is not the big one since i hardly look at it (listen to comands mostly) and actually am glad that it is not taking up more of my view than need be...
i will never again need to call my hubby on the way back from york and say "i am in down town baltimore - don't ask how the heck i got here just get me the f*** out of here..."
get one. it is a great help.

My mom and I both have Garmin Nuvi 265WT's. We love them! I don't go anywhere without mine and it more than paid for itself when I got ditched in the middle of nowhere. The 265WT is a widescreen and also has a traffic reciever that tells you how much of a delay your facing in major cities. It also has bluetooth so you can connect your cell phone to it and talk hands-free. And it has the "text-to-speech" thing. It's one of the ones that are more hard to find but pretty reasonably priced - my mom got hers off of amazon - no problems.

See this is why I love my car, since it comes with the talking feature. I'm now very interested in the Garmin Nuvi 265wt if it does this too, or something similar like the texting! How cool! I drive a company car now, and I never realized how much I love and depended on my car for all her features. ;)

I posted on the other thread awhile ago. I have a Tom Tom One and I HATE it! It takes up to 20 minutes to find a signal when I turn it on, regardless of where I am. When it does decide to work, about 50% of the time it says the address doesn't exist. It has gotten us lost on several occasions. We've stopped using it and went back to using Googlemaps.

Well, I ordered one last night & it'll be here by Wed. so I'll have a couple of days to play with it before the York chin show on Sat! I just got a cheaper one (I think it may be discontinued from what I saw on the Garmin website), but I don't really need all the extra stuff anyways it would just confuse me more! LOL!

Back